Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Definitely a cheap car to own. 9 years old and I only replaced the condenser (and I am still convinced that pressure washing under the hood caused that), front swap bar links, water pump and one interior bulb.

I think there was something else as well, but I can't put my finger on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The 3.4 is extremely reliable, the intake gasket is a cheap and easy job to do yourself, and should only need done once if you use the right gaskets. The 3.8 also has intake problems, and additionally has the stupid coolant elbow problem. We still have 1 3.4 left, close to 280k miles now and running strong.

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
I thought the 3.8l had intake problems too.
Weren't they so bad that you often had to replace the intake itself instead of just the gaskets?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yeah, the 3800 had a plastic manifold that had a tendancy to burn, aside from also having gasket issues. Of the two, I would honestly say the 3400 was more reliable. The 3800 just makes more power and has a better aftermarket.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 2003 Impala has a little over 167k on it, and aside from an occasional hard shift, it drives like new. I hope to keep it going to over 200k.

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
Wife's car has been doing the hard shift for years.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
5 minutes.....

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ :giggle: At min once a week here and $5 at a spray washer.

But, washing your car often isn't going to help the mechanical portions of the car at all. LMAO at this other guy :giggle:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Yes it does:
Start car in the car wash
select "foam soap spray"
spray directly into intake...

You may hear some funny noises from the engine, that's just the soap cleaning the engines internals....

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yes it does:
Start car in the car wash
select "foam soap spray"
spray directly into intake...

You may hear some funny noises from the engine, that's just the soap cleaning the engines internals....
Hmm I might have to try that this Friday :eek:k3:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Your car will have a brand new engine... :yikes:... I mean :eek:k3:.....

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ But, what about the trans? Pour soap in it?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Dawn dish detergent

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can count on one hand the amount of times I have washed my car.
with a silver car we can get away with that... the black 3.4's i see on the road now a days be looking run down! I only washed my car around Christmas or if it's a beautiful cloudless day like those calm after storm type days after a hurricane has passed.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
with a silver car we can get away with that... the black 3.4's i see on the road now a days be looking run down! I only washed my car around Christmas or if it's a beautiful cloudless day like those calm after storm type days after a hurricane has passed.

Agreed :eek:k3: Most of the black imp's I have seen have peeling/faded paint and look like crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
However long you want it to last. With only 106xxx miles, i wouldn't worry about anything if i were you. Some may argue, but you get the best performance well past 100k miles. You take care of your car and your car will take car of you whether its 30,000 miles or 250,000.

I just did a job on this guy 2000 impala ls with 225xxx on the dash, when i drove it before starting any work, it drove with those kinds of miles like it was brand new. Original motor and trans.

I've owned/ own 4 impalas. An, 2001, 02, 04, and now my 96 SS. The 01 was at 200k before i traded for the 04. Let me tell you, the only thing that i had to do with the 01 was change shocks and a thermostat. Mind you i traded that in 2008.

Since then until now, that car is still running with its new owner. I know this cause the car was lime green in color, and i was the only one had that. Lol, non the less to answer your question, somewhere around 150k have your intake gaskets replaced. That's the only known problem that would occur in these cars that would be a cause for concern. Other than that, you should be fine.
I know this message was written like forever ago but I have an 07 with 151k...seems lime regardless how well I take car of my girl she always has something wrong. How long do you really think I could keep my car cause at times I worry. She drives smooth but has weird issues

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 02 chevy impala with 106,xxx miles i keep up with regular maintenance and oil changes. How long should my impala last before real engine problems i know trans problems can happen at low miles as well. I recently changed the transmission filter. Also how long does the timing chain usually last. I heard the entire life of the car but not sure.
I was wondering the same thing as my gfs daily driver is a 07 Impala and has 170,000 miles.. not a SINGLE check engine light, no mechanical issues, like it's crazy do they really last this long? Is it too good to be true? Do the NEWER Impala's last this long? Cause if so I'll ditch my Cruze right now

21 - 40 of 40 Posts