Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 chevy impala with 106,xxx miles i keep up with regular maintenance and oil changes. How long should my impala last before real engine problems i know trans problems can happen at low miles as well. I recently changed the transmission filter. Also how long does the timing chain usually last. I heard the entire life of the car but not sure.

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
However long you want it to last. With only 106xxx miles, i wouldn't worry about anything if i were you. Some may argue, but you get the best performance well past 100k miles. You take care of your car and your car will take car of you whether its 30,000 miles or 250,000.

I just did a job on this guy 2000 impala ls with 225xxx on the dash, when i drove it before starting any work, it drove with those kinds of miles like it was brand new. Original motor and trans.

I've owned/ own 4 impalas. An, 2001, 02, 04, and now my 96 SS. The 01 was at 200k before i traded for the 04. Let me tell you, the only thing that i had to do with the 01 was change shocks and a thermostat. Mind you i traded that in 2008.

Since then until now, that car is still running with its new owner. I know this cause the car was lime green in color, and i was the only one had that. Lol, non the less to answer your question, somewhere around 150k have your intake gaskets replaced. That's the only known problem that would occur in these cars that would be a cause for concern. Other than that, you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
^Yup you should atleast get 250k-350k no problem with all proper maintenance. They're good cars. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
Engine failures are really pretty rare these days. It was carburetors that wore out engines with improper fueling, no longer a concern. As you already seem to know these have a timing CHAIN not a belt, wearing that out is not really a legitimate concern.

My wife drives an 03, she is hard on brakes but beyond that at 170k miles we have put intake gaskets in it, one set of tires, one set of plugs, one tranny flush, front wheel bearings, I replace headlights every few years because halogens get dimmer over time, believe all other bulbs are original. The plug wires, belt, hoses, struts are all original yet.
Current known issues are the heater resistor pack is acting up fan only works on 3 or above, the tranny has an occasional hard 1-2 shift. This car has been dirt cheap to own.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just replaced the intake gasket. the low coolant light kept comming on. so the coolant was going into the oil due to using that dexcool crap. it ate away the gasket. once i got that fixed no more low coolant light. also can someone let me know how to change a temp coolant sensor. its a 02 impala v6 3.4. they didnt place that senor in a good place lol. but thanks for ur imput guys this site has saved me a lot..

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's not the de cools fault, they used really crappy gaskets. As for changing the temp sensor, I think you can get it with a deep socket and extension without having to remove anything else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a minior sender issue that will be fixed this week. Otherwise my 2k is doing great @ 134k miles. Looks nicer than some '09's I've seen. Then again, it is a LS w/every option, but hey.

I do need to refresh the paint at some point, quite a few minor non-rusting dings and scratches, but otherwise rock solid.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My '00 LS has 171,600 something miles on it last I looked. Since I've owned the car for the past 2 years I had to replace the radiator and the power steering pump. I need to replace the rubber door seal above the driver side window because it has worn down. No major engine work has been needed though I need a tune up. Like others have stated, take care of your care and it will take care of you. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 03 with a 3.4 and just passed 250,000 and still pump out 30mpg on the highway
I had to replace the intake manifold at 150k
Synthetic oil every 3000 miles and transmission fluid every 30,000.
Impalas are rock solid if you have issues, there are so many of them out there making it easy to find parts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Don't tell me there haven't been any transmission issues

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That is amazing

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is amazing
That's scary! lol Actually just took in my 04 SS today because of some rough shifts out of first and some lagging shifts everywhere else. They said it didn't show any codes. Every other thread seems to say check the selonoid first, hope that's it. BTW, 140,000 + mi. and no major repairs yet, knock on wood! Very solid car that I am still in LOVE with!

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Well from experience with that HD transmission along with the non HD versions, by nature they shift pretty firm. You could do solenoids, but also do a trans fluid and filter change out and you will be fine.:beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seeing all of this just made me so happy. My 04 impala is at 195,000 and I am really wanting to taking a trip to Cali and was just very unsure about my car not being able to make it.
But now I am very confident in my impala.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
hello cali :)

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
Yesterday morning I noticed the wife's 2003 had a burned taillight and was a little louder than usual. At 203,000 it finally rusted the seam in the first muffler and honestly this is the first tailight bulb.
Second aftermarket rear swaybar endlink is broken on the passenger side, driver's side is original.
We bought the car new, has been very cheap to own all this time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
theres a big difference in reliability in the 3.8 vs 3.4.... 3.8 costs less to work on and is more reliable. I dont think a 3.4l can last pass 150k without the 1k intake job...

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
The wife's 3.4l needed the intake gasket at 140ish and was not that expensive. It really is not that much work. Never needed a sensor or anything yet, thing has been dirt cheap to own. I say that as someone who doesn't even like the car. front wheel drive is just wrong and the seats are aweful.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts