Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I warm mine up 99.9% of the time to operating temperature, or run it for 10 minutes before putting into gear, whichever comes first. I have done this for all of my vehicles for the past 10 years. Anyone else do anything like this?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
They are designed to start and go, there really isn't a need to warm up. However, that's the only way the heater is going to be working when you get in the car, so it depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Most any owners manual will stat to let it warm up to one minute at most, and that is only to make sure the oil is flowing to all engine parts. Heater and engine will warm up faster by driving it. Also with todays fuel prices waiting for it warm up is a waste of our hard earned cash.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Good point, you'll probably see an increase in mileage if you cut that warm up time to a minute.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:WTF: Wow... I have always taken the warm up thing my Grandpa and Ex-Father-in-law (major car guy and Trans builder) told me as law. After I asked the question this morning I started to research. I can't believe what I have found. I am going to change my "Morning Start-up proceedure".

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I let my Olds warm up for about 4-5 minutes only because it runs like ass if I dont... if everything works as it should, should only need to warm up for a minute or less.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Winter time: a few minutes, especially if its cold as hell out.

Spring/Summer/Fall: Usually a minute or two as I get situated in the car.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone tell me where in the Owner's Manual it tells you to just start and go/Correct Warm up procedure? I have a 1994 9C1. I tried to look it up while I was making a run to another office, but really didnt have the time. This is really bugging me now.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did some more research on my own;

... Low-temperature running is rich running, and will cause unburned fuel, water and acids to collect in the crankcase. A few weeks of being driven only to the corner for groceries or to the train station for commuting to work, and these contaminants will build up, ultimately turning to sludge. So every engine needs to be driven for a half-hour or so after it has warmed up to boil off the gruel and water. But doing that once or twice a month is plenty. It's not necessary to come to full operating temp every single time you drive. Starting it for a few seconds and then shutting it off is probably less harmful than starting it and letting it partly warm up...

Read more: Warm the Engine First? Debunking More of Dad's Myths - Popular Mechanics

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Also carbon deposits, but that pretty much covers it.

It's funny, my grandpa was a mechanic and he constantly preached that you should just start the car and go. Matter of fact, my caprice used to be his many years ago.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have any ACTUAL data regarding this? I would love to see the numbers.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
In my Impala and my Dodge Van owners manual it is under "Starting Procedures" or something like that.

On which way the engine warms up faster, do your own tests. You have seen the waiting time of up to 10 minutes, now try just doing a 30 second to one minute warm up then driving it and see how fast you get warm air out of your vents.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I usually start and go, except during the winter. For one, when it's -20 degrees, I like to be warm in my car, and when I was driving my '83 Grand Prix, I would have to let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes in order to drive it during the winter. It would run like crap until the engine warms up.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If the car runs like crap till it warms up, something is wrong.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, the engine isn't very good to begin with. It's a Pontiac 301, not worth putting anymore money into it to have it looked over again. It would run fine, but some days I would have to rev it a few times to get it running properly. Usually after sitting for awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts