Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pop the latch and nothing happens. I have to pound on it (can go on for 20 minutes) to make it come unstuck. I'm going to get some type of rust prevention stuff because the hood latch is rusting. What kind of lubricant should I get to compliment this? No WD40 either, already tried that. It works all of 2 days, then it's back to being stuck. I need a grease type lubricant. What lube and what rust preventer do I get?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It may be the inside release lever and cable that is sticking. Any type of lubricant will work on all parts of the mechanisms.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I pop the latch and nothing happens. I have to pound on it (can go on for 20 minutes) to make it come unstuck.......
1. You need to work out with the weights if it takes you 20 minutes to pop that sucker :tongue:!!!!!!

2. You need a new hood spring. They're still available from GM.....bought a couple from the dealer a few months back. Part #10198162.

KW

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I found a lithium spray grease that works really well. Might try it.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
All good advice.....but if you want to save money, put on some gloves, hold the spring in one hand and the hood with the other, hold the hood while you pull the spring straight down and do it a few times. Next, you can grease the spring and mount lightly. I do it several times a week on customers caprice/impala's and it always works.....but its just my opinion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I pull the latch on the Custom Cruiser, then I slam the drivers door. Then the hood pops up.

Works like a charm.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I pull the latch on the Custom Cruiser, then I slam the drivers door. Then the hood pops up.

Works like a charm.
I call that the Chevy special.
Also if the door slam doesnt work, I rap it with my fist like Fonzie, and give her a "aayeeeee." Give that a shot.

If that still doesnt work do what George says...if still no luck paint your hood with real fire then swing a axe into it.

If still no go use some C4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts