Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The faux wood on my 2008 LT dulled along the way, so I used some of Maguires excellent Plastix polish, to bring back the luster. Instead, it faded the plastic wood even more, and left nice scratches in the finish (a first for this product).

Any suggestions on how to bring back the fake wood finish? Armor All type products do nothing.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
That plastix stuff works pretty good idk why it did that. Maybe a super fine polish. Me personally i would pull it all out and out the SS trim.

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
I also never heard of this happening with plastic polish. Thats what I use on real and fake wood. Are you sure you did not use the headlight plastic cleaner? That is abrasive stuff.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yikes

Did you thoroughly clean the faux wood first? Did you use a good microfiber or polish cloth?

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
That stuff is for clear plastic , headlight covers etc.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thank everyone for their participation in this thread :eek:k3:.

So what can I use?

The "fake" wood is faded and slightly scratched now.

I thought of using NuFinish car polish?

I've never had this happen to faux wood before...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, to all who participated in this thread :eek:k3:

I'll update this thread, if and when I come up with a solution...

·
Premium Member
18,505 Posts
Thanks again, to all who participated in this thread :eek:k3:

I'll update this thread, if and when I come up with a solution...

And take MANY PICTURES, too. RIIIGHT? :eek:k3:

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
Clear plastic polish for guages, etc works great on the wood. I still suspect OP might have used something abrasive other than "clear plastic polish", like headlight restore.

Reactions: 2016LimtedLTZ

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry that I didn't revisit this thread sooner, but yes, I did use Maguires on the faux wood.

Over the weekend, I did try Nufinish car polish (which I keep for certain things). It helped some, but the scratches from Maguires remain.

(Note: this thread is not meant to slam Maguires products, which I use almost exclusively, with great results.)

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
Oh, I Use something called Duragloss 681 plastic polish. I got it at an auto parts store locally.
I've been using it on real and fake wood for years and it is excellent.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Oh, I Use something called Duragloss 681 plastic polish. I got it at an auto parts store locally.
That is some good stuff

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
Yeah, I don't recall seeing it anywhere but at a particular auto store. I don't think it was crazy expensive either. Works great on display screens for the radio and climate (makes them look new), hard plasic buttons and knobs that are fading, fake metal/aluminum on the dash, and of course wood. Goes on like wax, let it sit for a few minutes and buff off with a terry cloth or microfiber.

Reactions: SCOTTYINWV

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I'll have to check that out. Thanks Todd!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the referral :eek:k3:!

I moved to Charlotte NC not too long ago, so I am not too familiar with the auto stores around here.

But once I find a store that carries the product, I'll update the thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts