Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the idler on my car is squeeking like hell. its a 2000 with the 3400 in it and i was wanting to know if anyone has a how to on it or can offer any advice.

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
7,058 Posts
Remove the belt then find the socket that fits the idler pulley and turn it counter clockwise to remove. Same goes for the tensioner pulley as well. Some of these engines may have two idler pulleys. I generally recommend changing all the sealed bearing pulleys at the same time. Most often if an idler or tensioner pulley is squealing the other pulley(s) will follow shortly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the belt then find the socket that fits the idler pulley and turn it counter clockwise to remove. Same goes for the tensioner pulley as well. Some of these engines may have two idler pulleys. I generally recommend changing all the sealed bearing pulleys at the same time. Most often if an idler or tensioner pulley is squealing the other pulley(s) will follow shortly.
well i wasnt sure because i changed the belt and it seems like its spring loaded... it was hella hard to pull it back to get the belt on and off

·
Super Moderator
7,058 Posts
Longer handle break-over bar or a belt change tool set works much better.

On the tensioner you may spring load the unit as you are working on breaking loosen the bolt that holds the pulley on. I have sheared one tensioner bolt on a 3400 engine and it was not fun changing the tensioner unit out, it had the coolant heater core tubes built in. But the pulley was bad and had to be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Longer handle break-over bar or a belt change tool set works much better.

On the tensioner you may spring load the unit as you are working on breaking loosen the bolt that holds the pulley on. I have sheared one tensioner bolt on a 3400 engine and it was not fun changing the tensioner unit out, it had the coolant heater core tubes built in. But the pulley was bad and had to be replaced anyway.
so what your trying to say is its going to be hard as hell and probably tear my hands/arms all to hell right?

·
Super Moderator
7,058 Posts
Most often not but can be at times. Do recommend wearing gloves if you can. I have a few sets of mechanic gloves and they have saved my hands many times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most often not but can be at times. Do recommend wearing gloves if you can. I have a few sets of mechanic gloves and they have saved my hands many times.
personally i dont like gloves.... probably should though.... wouldnt have as many scars.lol.

oh and when i go to losen it it goes back tword the fire wall right? its not a backwards thread or anything is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts