Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Steve, I am searching for a 1958 impala and one seller on Craigslist in AZ says there is surface rust on this car. How concerned should I be with this car? Does this mean that the entire car is rusted badly? He also goes on to say that the floors and trunks are "solid", what does "solid" mean? Please let me know what your thoughts are on this, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If the seller is describing the rust properly then what he means is that the top of the metal is rusted, some easy sanding and it will be gone. Then primer, paint and your good to go.

Being "solid" means that there are no weak spots or holes in the metal, though you will find them to have rust on them. Again a little work and it should be good to go.

I would request pics of the car to see for yourself exactly what condition it is in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
surface rust

hey just wanted to say i have a 77 impala that i sanded to bare metal then sprayed it with paint from a can 3 months later it started coming back so i sanded again used navel jelly on the worst spots then went to wal-mart bought a gravity feed sprayer which was a great deal weny to home depot bought some enamel shot it on and have had no problems since and it dont look half bad:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
all i ahve to say that most cars in az wont get rust my caprice is from az and it doesnt have 1 spot of rust on it anywhere ... although almost everything rubber is gone from the heat thats easy enough to replace...... if my car wouldnt of been from az or colorado i might not of bought it....

anyways one point im tryin to make ask him if it was originally from az .... ( this post is old but still good info for new collectors or projects ):eek::biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts