Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
The posi carrier has springs. the open carrier does not.

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
And yes posting a picture of the differential with the cover removed will helping us to verify the axle if you still are not sure after reading Cory's statement above.

·
Registered
997 Posts
This is a positraction carrier.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The was standard with the towing package sedans from 94-96. Towing It wasn't common, or rare to be on the 2.56 RM sedans. It was sort of in between. But it did seem a bit rare on the 91-93 Roadmasters. Wagons seem to follow their own rules, and were a bit more rare. No 2.56 posi wagons.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The was standard with the towing package sedans from 94-96. Towing It wasn't common, or rare to be on the 2.56 RM sedans. It was sort of in between. But it did seem a bit rare on the 91-93 Roadmasters. Wagons seem to follow their own rules, and were a bit more rare. No 2.56 posi wagons.
What does this "2.56" mean?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
that is the gear ratio. so 2.56 rotations of your drive shaft to 1 turn of the axel. the rpo code i think is gm8 or gw2,gw3,g11,gt1. the lower the ratio the higher the speed the rearend is so if it was 4.10 gear would be low speed fast (drag car or truck the would pull 10000 + lbs)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is the gear ratio. so 2.56 rotations of your drive shaft to 1 turn of the axel. the rpo code i think is gm8 or gw2,gw3,g11,gt1. the lower the ratio the higher the speed the rearend is so if it was 4.10 gear would be low speed fast (drag car or truck the would pull 10000 + lbs)
I think my SPID code pointed to a 3.08... So what's that mean? More power... Or more speed?

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
I think my SPID code pointed to a 3.08... So what's that mean? More power... Or more speed?
More of a balance between power and speed. IMO it is a better ratio than the 2.56.

3.08 and 3.43 IMO are the best ratios unless as someone pointed out above that you are building a drag/racing car. Some here even like the 3.73 axle for good fast takeoffs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More of a balance between power and speed. IMO it is a better ratio than the 2.56.

3.08 and 3.43 IMO are the best ratios unless as someone pointed out above that you are building a drag/racing car. Some here even like the 3.73 axle for good fast takeoffs.
Cool. This car just looks better and better... hardware wise. Electronically, however, it still needs fixin' (lumbar controls not working, passenger sear won't recline, trunk won't pull itself shut, etc) but I like what I'm seeing and I thank you guys for the info!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts