Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have an Impala SS, and it has alot of miles on it and i think that's why it might have have lost some of its umph! in the sound. I want to know how I can make it louder, by putting a new muffler, gettin an engine tune-up. just let me know.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a new muffler, will help a lil.. the mileage isnt that big of a deal.. and how many miles can it have if it is a 2007?? Try a new exhaust/muffler combo... talk to anyone at auto zone... and a tune up wouldnt hurt but that is mainly changing the spark plugs and has as much impact on sound as would changing the oil... good luck!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a cat-back exhaust system and put a mild camshaft in it. Chevy has plenty of cams you can buy from the dealer that are smog legal. It is not very complicated process and it will greatly improve the performance (and sometimes mileage too depending on your selection of camshaft). If you have a lot of miles on it, chances are that your catalytic convertor is partially clogged. Cherry bomb also makes replacement mufflers that sound awesome. Actually, that is an understatement. They sound totally awesome.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rip off the exhaust completely, and weld on a few pipes coming out behind the front fenders.

That'll be loud as hell.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Get a cat-back exhaust system and put a mild camshaft in it. Chevy has plenty of cams you can buy from the dealer that are smog legal. It is not very complicated process and it will greatly improve the performance (and sometimes mileage too depending on your selection of camshaft). If you have a lot of miles on it, chances are that your catalytic convertor is partially clogged. Cherry bomb also makes replacement mufflers that sound awesome. Actually, that is an understatement. They sound totally awesome.
Obviously you have never changed a camshaft in one of these cars, or you do it the same way I do.

Step One is Remove Engine Assembly.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
wow......anyhow, if you dont want to spend money, chop off the exhaust after the muffler/s and have some turn down pipes bolted or welded on. now you have louder FWD car......sounds almost.......honda like:)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Obviously you have never changed a camshaft in one of these cars, or you do it the same way I do.

Step One is Remove Engine Assembly.
Did mine while in the car (L36)
jacked the car up, loosened the rear cradle bolts, removed the front 2, removed tire, spring, strut, slid it right out.. :biggrin:
The shop manual had the same procedure
1. remove engine assembly :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts