Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

I have a 2001 Chevy Impala 3400SE series, stock... With the basic rims/tires on it.. How do I find out what I have on them? As you can see by my garage on the site :)

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
- Brian Lowell

·
Registered
288 Posts
Look at the sidewall on your tire, it will tell you the tire's tread width/aspect ratio- then rim diameter. My car reads 275/40-17, which means the tread width is 275 mms, the sidewall height is 40% of that, and the rim's diameter is 17". You're also going to have some letters in there indicating that it is a radial tire for a passenger vehicle and a speed rating.

This is all very basic stuff; not to be mean, but you really should know all this. I hope you're not trying to do mods and stuff without help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow...

If you don't want to bend down far enough to look at your tires, there's a label in the drivers door jamb. It'll say the tire size and what PSI you need.

M

·
0 Posts
wow +1....if what 350 said is too much work, you can google the tire size off the net or call your local tire shop and they can look it up.... good luck with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ah, gee.. Thanks for the smart ass replies. The car isn't here, and I won't have it back for at least a few more days. I was asking if there was an alternative, because of this fact.

By the way, thank you maesstro.. And I don't know a lot about cars, that is why I am trying to learn my way through it.. We all started somewhere. But I was seeing if anyone knew what the stock size was on my series.

Obviously if I had the car, I would walk outside and look.. C'mon.

But I do apologize, I should have been more specific..I meant to ask if the car wasn't here.. Not the body shop part..

M

·
0 Posts
some of us make our living off being smart asses..... it's all in fun....

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I were you I'd just buy some new 20's and come up with a different tire size.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks.. But if I got new 20s would I need to do anything else to accommodate the larger tire size?
Well, if you got some 245/30/20 or 245/35/20 tires, you'd have to do nothing about the 'larger tire size' :tongue: .

245/30/20

245/35/20

Tire Size Calculator

But if you REALLY wanted to do 'something' about the tire size difference.....then you'd have to get your computer recalibrated.

I'd recommend calling PCM 4 Less :wink: .

KW

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ah, gee.. Thanks for the smart ass replies. The car isn't here, and I won't have it back for at least a few more days. I was asking if there was an alternative, because of this fact.

By the way, thank you maesstro.. And I don't know a lot about cars, that is why I am trying to learn my way through it.. We all started somewhere. But I was seeing if anyone knew what the stock size was on my series.

Obviously if I had the car, I would walk outside and look.. C'mon.

But I do apologize, I should have been more specific..I meant to ask if the car wasn't here.. Not the body shop part..
You're right- we all started somewhere. If I were you, I would try to hook up with a local club and learn as much as I could from the members- they probably have get togethers and might have mod days where they work on each others cars.

As far as 20's go, you can do it without mods, but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the brakes. They would look better behind the bigger wheels and obviously function better since your rolling stock would be heavier, which is typically detrimental to braking performance. Lots of people have done it though and it's not like there are a bunch of fender benders due to the larger wheels.

Don't mind the smart assery, that's just how it works online sometimes, especially with the ISSF crowd. Don't you give your group of friends a bunch of flack for some of the stuff they do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts