Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Keep the engine running, spray the wand at the engine, do not spray the air inlet opening and try not to concentrate on the wiring harness and connections. Rinse it really well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
really no need to keep the engine running, just get it warm, turn it off, put plastic bags and rubber bands or tape over all your electrical stuff and air intakes, etc... then get some engine degreaser from your local auto parts store and go to town on that mug. let it soak in for like 10 minutes or so, then spray it off. you may find it necessary to get in there with a wire brush or something similar sometimes to get the really caked on stuff off, but in general, this method is good to go.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i can remember 1 time bagging my fuse box ect.

since then, i have never done it and never had any problems.

Get some greased lighting or some sort of degreaser as previously stated from a autoparts store. Wet the motor down, cake it in degreaser (watch your fenders and other painted areas as it will take whatever wax you have on it and maybe even your clear coat right off) and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

Hose it off and then the secret, which no one has stated....

Douse the entire engine bay in Armor All. No BS. once everything is covered in AA, let it dry and admire.

Few side notes...it doesn't have to be dry when applying the Armor All.

It may look like shit while its drying but once its done its giong to look great. Trust me, i wouldn't do anything to my cars that would hurt them and ive been doing this for years. ZERO problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i can remember 1 time bagging my fuse box ect.

since then, i have never done it and never had any problems.

Get some greased lighting or some sort of degreaser as previously stated from a autoparts store. Wet the motor down, cake it in degreaser (watch your fenders and other painted areas as it will take whatever wax you have on it and maybe even your clear coat right off) and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

Hose it off and then the secret, which no one has stated....

Douse the entire engine bay in Armor All. No BS. once everything is covered in AA, let it dry and admire.

Few side notes...it doesn't have to be dry when applying the Armor All.

It may look like shit while its drying but once its done its giong to look great. Trust me, i wouldn't do anything to my cars that would hurt them and ive been doing this for years. ZERO problems.
i have always wanted to try that aa method but no one ever states which kind of armol all to use. I wouldnt want to use tire shine on my engine if something else is required.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
regular armor all for interior works.....problem with armor all is it attracts more dirt. We use something similar here at the shop that we buy in bulk. Spray it on and let it dry....no need to wipe. Best thing is it does not attract dirt as it dries very well quickly and makes everything look new and shiny. Also if you dont want to buy degreaser thats in a can and might strip clear coats... go to the nearest bulk store such as sams club,smart and final or costco/price club and buy some non diluted SIMPLE GREEN This stuff is about $10 for a GALLON and its very effective at cleaning engine grime.

It's also paint friendly and gives you time to wipe it off without it drying/damaging the paint.

UPDATE: "Gargoyle rubber and vinyl protective coating" that's the stuff. Spray it on everything under the hood, interior and even the tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts