Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994-96 GM B-Body Impala TVS System

Has anyone here used this system before? It's on my "to buy" list of MANY things yet to come for my black beaSSt but i wanted to hear some reviews. This kit DOES NOT include shocks, so if anyone has an opinion on those please let me know. My goal in this car is to run with my dad's 85 Corvette Z51 on the track one day, so I want to make sure my suspension is top notch. I think this system will help me get there, but I wanna hear what you think! :eek:k3:

·
Registered
997 Posts
$2,345. BAH HAHAHA.... right. You can build a very similar setup for much less. Lets break it down.

$827 - Rear Control Arms
$677 - Sway Bars
$432 - Lowering Springs
$327 - Engine Bay Brace
$83 - Machined Tie Rod Sleeves

That's $2,346. SO buying the whole kit, you don't get ANY discount as my figures were rounded up.

You can get control arms of the exact same quality for half that. Pair of comparable sway bars for LESS than half that. Springs of comparable rate and drop for nearly half of that. Engine bay brace? That thing won't really do jack for a car like this. It's not a unibody. Machined tie rod sleeves. This assumes they are even worth it, I have seen them for much less than that.

Then you still have to spend another $500 with hotchkis to get their matching shocks! Their shocks are revalved Bilsteins.

Personally, I think you are nuts. If you want to make a Caprice handle, you can get the same results for much less.

Glance over this list. I have not done any updates since 2009, and I really need to. Been lazy, and I rarely visit that place anymore. There are some other spring, and control arm producers out there these days that are not on the list.

Spring, Shocks, Control Arms, Sway Bars, ETC. - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips i'll certainly look into that. Obviously i'm not dead set on it, otherwise i wouldn't bother asking. One thing I know is that Hotchkis is a very reliable brand with proven results, so i was ecstatic when i found they came out with a kit for b-body cars.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Are you set on moving the axle back? If not, I would replace the bushings(leave it rubber) in the upper control arms, and leave them stock. The upper arms NEED to flex. If they don't the hard bushings will be worn out in short order. If you are set o extending it, UMI makes an upper arm that uses a flex joint at one end, that really helps things from binding.

You are paying for that hotckis name. You may not even be getting a product that is any better.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No i'm not crazy about moving the wheels, the reality is I like the off center look they provide now (call me nuts), and i'm also not fond of the idea of replacing my driveshaft just for the extensions, altho i plan on putting a much more heavy duty one in anyways so it may not be a huge deal in the end...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts