Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the location of the horn relay on a 2007 police? Its not in the under hood fuse box unless its labeled as something else. I have glanced under the dash but did not see it there either. Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
The horn relay is in the underhood fuse block but it is a pcb relay. Believe it or not you have to take apart the fuse block then desolder the relay. You can’t even see the relay without taking the fuse block apart. The horn, fog lamp, ws washer, high beam, ign main and several other relays are out of sight and soldered. Other options are buy a new fuse block assembly or wire a relay yourself. Thanks GM.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am just trying to get my horn to work. The police make the cars to where pushing the horn on the steering wheel operates the siren. I am sure they do something simple to disable the horn but just don't know what they do.I thought maybe they clipped a wire at the relay but don't think they would go to the trouble of what you discribed. Guess I am going to have to trace wires and see if I can find a clipped one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have someone push the horn on the steering wheel while you check for power at the HORN fuse. If you have power then the problem is between the fuse block and the horn. No power, the problem is between the steering wheel and the fuse block, or the relay.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Have someone push the horn on the steering wheel while you check for power at the HORN fuse. If you have power then the problem is between the fuse block and the horn. No power, the problem is between the steering wheel and the fuse block, or the relay.
^^^ Great idea!

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^^ Great idea!
On your Police Impala, when the personnel who stripped the police gear prior to auction cut cables, they may have cut cables leaving the horn circuit cut. If you have your owner's manuals, look at the Police Package manual. Mine (2007 Impala Police 3.9L) indicated the siren system taps into a light beige/tan cable located in the police gear cable harness at the right kick panel area (front passenger floor area, by removing the Ebony (black) color plastic kick panel which includes the cover door for the inside fuse panel. Locate a light beige/tan cable (unless your manual indicates a different color) and ensure the cable is in tact (not cut/split). Mine was left split where they had originally tapped into it to connect the aftermarket cable going to the siren system. When they stripped the equipment for the auction, they merely cut the cable out of the connection leaving the two sides of the light beige/tan cable split apart. I joined the two ends of the light beige/tan cable together and the horn works perfectly. While you are down there, make sure they didn't leave any positive (red) cables cut and exposed to make contact with things (like a ground). My car had 3 of them like that and I had to cover the tips and add electrical tape to make sure they were safe going forward. I hope this helps, and Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
On your Police Impala, when the personnel who stripped the police gear prior to auction cut cables, they may have cut cables leaving the horn circuit cable split open (not completing the circuit). If you have your owner's manuals, look at the Police Package manual. Mine, a 2007 Impala Police 3.9L, indicated the siren system taps into a light beige/tan cable located in the police gear cable harness at the right kick panel area (front passenger floor area), by removing the Ebony (black) color plastic kick panel which includes the cover/door for the inside fuse panel which is also in this area. Locate a light beige/tan cable (unless your manual indicates a different color) and ensure the cable is in tact (not cut/split). Mine was left split where they had originally tapped into it to connect the aftermarket cable going to the siren system. When they stripped the equipment for the auction, they merely cut the cable out of the connection leaving the two sides of the light beige/tan cable split apart. I joined the two ends of the light beige/tan cable together and the horn works perfectly. While you are down there, make sure they didn't leave any positive (red) cables cut and exposed to make contact with things (like a ground). My car had 3 of them like that and I had to cover the tips and add electrical tape to make sure they were safe going forward. I also tie-wrapped the cables into a more organized system compared to the mess they left down there. I hope this helps, and Good Luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
i believe thats what happened to mine as well. i see the two cables but i already installed a push horn but this weekend i will go back and try to connect them. Also can you take a picture of the wires you reconnected?Any ideas where the red wires go?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i believe thats what happened to mine as well. i see the two cables but i already installed a push horn but this weekend i will go back and try to connect them. Also can you take a picture of the wires you reconnected?Any ideas where the red wires go?
Hiram1989, I have the same problem with my 2012 Police Impala. Except for the horn, everything on my steering column works. I've also got that inaccessible PCB relay. Were you able to find a severed connection like the one Poliherd described? If so, was it worth the trouble or would I be better off installing a separate horn circuit? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hiram1989, I have the same problem with my 2012 Police Impala. Except for the horn, everything on my steering column works. I've also got that inaccessible PCB relay. Were you able to find a severed connection like the one Poliherd described? If so, was it worth the trouble or would I be better off installing a separate horn circuit? Thanks.
I bought mine from the fleet I work for and I was the one who stripped all the LEO equipment, what I found was they cut and rerouted the wires to the siren controller under the steering column cover, look for a tan wire that has been cut and spliced, probably to a different color wire, cut that splice off and reconnect the tan wire and your horn should be good to go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
On your Police Impala, when the personnel who stripped the police gear prior to auction cut cables, they may have cut cables leaving the horn circuit cut. If you have your owner's manuals, look at the Police Package manual. Mine (2007 Impala Police 3.9L) indicated the siren system taps into a light beige/tan cable located in the police gear cable harness at the right kick panel area (front passenger floor area, by removing the Ebony (black) color plastic kick panel which includes the cover door for the inside fuse panel. Locate a light beige/tan cable (unless your manual indicates a different color) and ensure the cable is in tact (not cut/split). Mine was left split where they had originally tapped into it to connect the aftermarket cable going to the siren system. When they stripped the equipment for the auction, they merely cut the cable out of the connection leaving the two sides of the light beige/tan cable split apart. I joined the two ends of the light beige/tan cable together and the horn works perfectly. While you are down there, make sure they didn't leave any positive (red) cables cut and exposed to make contact with things (like a ground). My car had 3 of them like that and I had to cover the tips and add electrical tape to make sure they were safe going forward. I hope this helps, and Good Luck!
My 2009 Impala Police 3.9L had the same horn problem. You were right about the tan wire in the police gear cable harness in the right kick panel area. Joined the two cut wires and bingo I now have use of the factory installed horns without any additional add-ons. Kudos for the post along with many thanks from this newbie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts