Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully I can get some input on this question. My grandma and I both have Impalas, hers is 2003 and mine is 2005. Her horns are Fiamm AM80, NOT AM80s which seems to be what they're calling it now. But hers sound extremely impressive and were never upgraded. I had mine replaced by the dealer and they were the Fiamm AM80s and they never were quite that loud. I finally started figuring out how to do this stuff myself so thinking maybe the horns themselves weren't that great, I bought two different Fiamm AM80s (standards) and there wasn't really any improvement. I heard Fiamm AM80s Freeway Blasters were suppose to be really good and in fact I've heard how loud they can be. Even these don't seem to be extremely impressive in sound.

So, after all that explanation, is there a particular reason why this could be going on? Nothing else seems to be wrong with the car except for the horns not being extremely loud. Don't get me wrong, they are somewhat loud but why would the Freeway Blasters of today suck worse than standard Fiamm AM80 that was installed on the 2003. I can also vouch that the horns do look slightly different.

Hers on the 2003 look like this

And this is what mine looks like

Note how the centers look different. I'm not looking to scare the hell out of people but I would like people to know I'm there. D:

Of course before anyone mentions to try swapping them to test, it's sort of hard to do since she's the type that gets nuts when you start 'messing with stuff' so it would be hard to just go ahead and do something like that.

Edit: I uploaded the sound differences so you can hear it. You can listen here: http://youtu.be/5rAYQ-VGT3w , information is in the description.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Go aftermarket. Most will tell you how loud they are, I put a set of dual note 130db horns on my old motorcycle, believe me people heard them!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would you recommend exactly? I don't want anything that sounds too feminine but I don't want anything like a train horn either. XD Just something that gives the Impala the respect it deserves. :)

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Wolo and Hella have some quality loud horns

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I do have a bit of an update on this. I swapped the horns while do some other type of work on both cars and it turns out that the 03 horns do sound the same on my 05 so that leads me to wonder something. Fiamm puts a caulk over the adjusting screws and I've read in other places that you can turn it very slightly to adjust the pitch but you have to be careful not to do it too much otherwise it will not work at all. I wasn't paying super close attention but I don't think the horns from the 03 had any caulk over them at all which leads me to believe they might've been tuned at some point in time. Does anyone else have experience with this or has tried doing this?

@g25racer: Offtopic but I live in Michigan too. :)

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Changing the note doesn't change the volume, if they are louder on one car than the other, you probably have a bad ground. That would indicate they are not getting full current.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was also very embarassed with that stupid sound.... bought the car 3 weeks before...
Hmmm but it was very easy to mount the air horn.

JustFun

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Changing the note doesn't change the volume, if they are louder on one car than the other, you probably have a bad ground. That would indicate they are not getting full current.
Well, that's just it. Swapping horns with the 03 gives me a very loud horn like it should be. That's why I was assuming that they were tuned by someone. I was originally thinking maybe I wasn't getting the full current like i was suppose to but now I've ruled that out and either the horns aren't tuned to the fullest of their capability or Fiamm is putting out crap these days.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
my horns sound pretty good. they aren't super loud but they can be heard pretty well. its not a high pitched tone as both horns work perfect together, they might be louder than my 01' was, not completely positive but im sure they are... but ive been wanting to upgrade to a louder horn or horns as well, I was thinking the BadBoy horn or a set of the Hella horns relocated behind the grille... let us know of the results if you upgrade horns!

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
I've always wanted to run a rear facing 3 bell train horn at the rear of my car (on an independent button) for those pesky tailgaters...

I said "BACK OFF!!!"

:devil::devil::devil:

·
Banned
97 Posts
Hopefully I can get some input on this question. My grandma and I both have Impalas, hers is 2003 and mine is 2005. Her horns are Fiamm AM80, NOT AM80s which seems to be what they're calling it now. But hers sound extremely impressive and were never upgraded. I had mine replaced by the dealer and they were the Fiamm AM80s and they never were quite that loud. I finally started figuring out how to do this stuff myself so thinking maybe the horns themselves weren't that great, I bought two different Fiamm AM80s (standards) and there wasn't really any improvement. I heard Fiamm AM80s Freeway Blasters were suppose to be really good and in fact I've heard how loud they can be. Even these don't seem to be extremely impressive in sound.
Fiamm AM80 & AM80s are not the same model.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fiamm AM80 & AM80s are not the same model.
I didn't think they were but it seems you can't get the AM80 anymore, just AM80s. Excuse me but I think S stands for shit or something because they just don't seem to be that impressive like the older AM80 version that I've heard. But then someone on Youtube said that the ones from Italy are better than the ones from Cadillac which isn't too far away from me incidentally.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I didn't think they were but it seems you can't get the AM80 anymore, just AM80s. Excuse me but I think S stands for shit or something because they just don't seem to be that impressive like the older AM80 version that I've heard. But then someone on Youtube said that the ones from Italy are better than the ones from Cadillac which isn't too far away from me incidentally.
yeah you can get the AM80 not new but used though.

1999 Chevy Astro Fiamm AM80 CH2035 A73345 Horn | eBay

92 93 94 Saturn SC2 Horn Low CH2035 C64 | eBay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts