Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 5 minute video of my Roadmaster wagon getting the white walls widened.
Before and after.

I'm not sure which one of these will work

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eye Sea

Yes,
Very good idea for all automotive work to have safety glasses.
Suffered many days thru the years from exhaust pipe rust falling into eyes.

Many items I could add too...
Don't engauge the parking/emergency brake
Do this outside only
Double jacks and stands for extra safety
Be cautious of courious neighbors, they will gather quickly to see WTF you are doing to your tires.

Tips:
I rock the polisher (not grinder as I speak in video) in a curve motion.
This scrubs off the letters and imperfections in the area.
As I am removing rubber, I am looking for the outer limits of the white to begin to show thru.
Don't stay in one spot too long, keep rocking.
Once the outside edge of white is found, I begin to lower everything between the inside edge and the outside edge.
BFGoodrich has the widest I have found.
These are Bridgestones in video.

This is a well worn 40 grit that I used, slower than new, but much smoother results.
I did not need to polish after with a 3M pad...so maybe if your starting new, use a 80 grit.

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
I just want to add for those whom decide to do this to be very careful and follow all of the above safety information.

Also remember that you are removing some of the rubber from the side wall of the tire. In some rare cases that may weaken the outer wall of the tire and make the tire dangerous of a blow out.

I will say that I do like the wider white walls myself.

Nice job Klattu.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
If you ever get the chance to cut a tire across the white wall, you will see less than 1/16" (1.5mm) of black on top of the white wall.
I discovered this making some crane protectors from old tires.
Of course anything is possible, but in the 28+ tires done so far, zero sidewall problems.
The heaviest, or most tire under a strain that I have done would probably be the 75 Eldorado, FWD with a 500 sitting on top.
Many trips to Florida during the hot summer and still looks good.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Thanks,
If you ever get the chance to cut a tire across the white wall, you will see less than 1/16" (1.5mm) of black on top of the white wall.
I discovered this making some crane protectors from old tires.
Of course anything is possible, but in the 28+ tires done so far, zero sidewall problems.
The heaviest, or most tire under a strain that I have done would probably be the 75 Eldorado, FWD with a 500 sitting on top.
Many trips to Florida during the hot summer and still looks good.

You did a good job and thanks for the how to video.....its good to see people sharing tips and techniques.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Old thread i know. But my friend wants to know about doing white walls. Does it require an already white wall tire or white letter tire? Or can any tire have this conditioning

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Old thread i know. But my friend wants to know about doing white walls. Does it require an already white wall tire or white letter tire? Or can any tire have this conditioning
It requires a white letter/white wall tire to start.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ok. That's what I thought, after reading many a rat-rod forum. Thanks for confirmation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought white wall paint off line, looked awesome!... For 2 weeks lol, chipped, cracked, browned, flipped my tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts