Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I upgrade my touchscreen to.run apple carplay and Android auto? I do not want to spend $800-$1200 on a plug and play system. Can I just buy a newer HMI module and have it programmed to my vehicle? What is the exact part number I need?

·
Registered
123 Posts
How can I upgrade my touchscreen to.run apple carplay and Android auto? I do not want to spend $800-$1200 on a plug and play system. Can I just buy a newer HMI module and have it programmed to my vehicle? What is the exact part number I need?
A new HMI Module will probably set you back about $800 with out nav and about $1100 with nav. They are not cheap.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be buying a used one. Just wondering what I would have to do to make it compatible

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if programming is needed or not. What price have you found on a used HMI Module ?
About $150, its the version without navigation.. but that's fine, as long as I can run android auto I'd rather use google maps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone that is actually knowledgeable comment about this? I don't just want guesses. Can I use a used module from a 2016 Impala or not?

·
Registered
27 Posts
just went to the chevy dealer in Saudi. They wanted 150$ to add Android Auto which i think is just too much. mine is a 2016

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just went to the chevy dealer in Saudi. They wanted 150$ to add Android Auto which i think is just too much. mine is a 2016
This comment isn't relevant to my post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It needs to be programmed to your VIN. You'll need a new USB socket if you use the center console USB. If you don't, you'll have to use the one behind the screen. You will also need to replace the Radio Receiver if you subscribe to Sirius XM.

If you did decide to keep factory navigation, you would need a new antenna as the connections are different.

HMI - GM (84546902) $300
USB - GM (13519225) $70
Receiver - GM (84278545) $200

If this is not knowledgeable enough, you can always search within these forums for your answer.

https://www.impalaforums.com/audio-video-and-electronics/1164865-io5-to-io6-2016-w-carplay-android-auto-and-txting.html

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It needs to be programmed to your VIN. You'll need a new USB socket if you use the center console USB. If you don't, you'll have to use the one behind the screen. You will also need to replace the Radio Receiver if you subscribe to Sirius XM.

If you did decide to keep factory navigation, you would need a new antenna as the connections are different.

HMI - GM (84546902) $300
USB - GM (13519225) $70
Receiver - GM (84278545) $200

If this is not knowledgeable enough, you can always search within these forums for your answer.

https://www.impalaforums.com/audio-video-and-electronics/1164865-io5-to-io6-2016-w-carplay-android-auto-and-txting.html
This is perfect thank you. I appreciate someone answering who actually knows what they're talking about rather than just taking a guess or not even answering the question. My only other question is can I use a used HMI module from a 2016+ Impala and have it reprogrammed to my VIN? Ive seen several used 2016+ impala HMIs on eBay for around $150. I don't care about the factory nav as I'd rather just use Google maps and projection for my navigation. Again thanks for you help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A dealership should be able to reprogram it with your VIN no problem. I don't know what a dealership would charge for that. Sorry I'm not much help there.

But don't forget, if you upgrade and don't want to use the USB behind the screen you'll have to change the port in the center console. Fortunately, that's the cheapest part if you bought it brand new.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A dealership should be able to reprogram it with your VIN no problem. I don't know what a dealership would charge for that. Sorry I'm not much help there.

But don't forget, if you upgrade and don't want to use the USB behind the screen you'll have to change the port in the center console. Fortunately, that's the cheapest part if you bought it brand new.
Awesome, thanks for all the info. Hopefully I can pick up everything for around $220 and just pay the dealer for programming.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1 Posts
RobHazmat
Any luck on your upgrade? I too am looking for a solution as you described. Just curious if your research panned out for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts