Impala Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had this message pop up. I checked my lights...low beams and high beams are working properly. However, the left turn and right turn indicators both stay lit on the dashboard and neither the right or left FRONT turn signals blinks. The back turn signals both work properly. You can still see that the front turn signal bulbs are still burning, but dimly...and the Highbeam Out message lights up when you turn on the car. The turn signal clicker clicks rapidly when the engine is on and in gear. I stopped at a parts store and installed a new front left turn signal bulb but the same problem persisted...neither the left or right turn signals worked...it was like I did nothing.
I took it to a mechanic and he said he hasn't seen anything like that particular problem before.
Can anyone shed some light on this before the mechanic starts his diagnosis.
. My car is a 2002 Impala V6..81,000 miles.
Thanks
Casey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking at the electrical schematic for the high and low beam lights circuit, it appears to be connection problem, not necessarily the HIGH LOW switch. I traced the voltage through the head lamp assy, and it is correct, with the low side voltage going to the switch, which takes that voltage to low,,ground. The schematic shows that the body control module expects to see approx 12 volts on its terminal, HIGH BEAM IN. If this is not there, it appears to show that the high beam elements are both open, and would give a signal to the dash, HIGH BEAM OUT. If this is true, there would be no connection to the high, low switch to allow for it to connect the high beam light to ground , and there would be no high beam light turned on. IS THERE A CONNECTOR BETWEEN THE HEAD LIGHT ASSY AND THE LIGHT DIMMER SWITCH. I have looked on the 2004 impala and did not find it yet.

I had a simular problem on a 2000 impala and found a burnt connection under the steering column. I bypassed that burnt connection and the low beam worked as desired.

Just have not figured out the 2004 Impala yet.

Anyone have more experiance with the head lights.

thanks
nairda

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Hmm - seems to be a pretty common issue on the 7th gens. You'd think that the cause would be the same for all 7th gens (for the most part). I've seen only one person say what the cause was though (which was a burnt connection under the steering column on a 2000).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solution !! I had the same problem on my 04' . Both turn indicators on the dash stayed lit when key is on. When using L or R turn signals both dash indicators would flash quickly like the hazards went crazy. Also had the High Beams Out message on the VIC display on and off. Changed the hazard Switch didnt fix it. Ordered a Turn Signal Switch which is coming UPS - don't need it. The FIX is the ground behind the drivers headlight. The ground looked solid and I actually checked it in the beginning of scoping out the problem, Apparently I didn't go far enough with it. I put a test light to the Pos Batt connection and put the probe end on the bolt holding the eyelet connector for the ground wire, it showed a good ground. I cleaned up the connector and put it back. Turns out the connection where the 2 wires are coming into the eyelet ground lug was corroded and oxidized, the wires snapped off the eyelet when flexed. I Cut the wires back to good clean copper and installed a new eyelet, screwed back on and all functions work properly. I hope this helps out someone here. Anyone wanna buy a New Hazard Switch or a Turn Signal Cruise Combo Switch ? : ) -Vince

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Thanks for reporting back with the solution in your case! I'm sure that will help someone else in the future. So many times, people get advice, fix the isuse and never report back...

Again, thank you - and glad to hear that you resolved the issue! You might want to put the un-needed parts that you bought up for sale in the classified section (assuming you can't just return them).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 Impala with EXACT same issue. Turn signal indicators on dash act same way as your report mentioned. Rear turn signal bulbs work perfect. Front turn signal lights are on simultaneously, with one dim when signaling turn. High beams out message. Hazard switch was not the problem.
Will be checking grounds near front headlights and report back. Appreciate your info- lots of reports of bad hazard switches on line, but none mentioned the high beam message as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2002 Impala with EXACT same issue. Turn signal indicators on dash act same way as your report mentioned. Rear turn signal bulbs work perfect. Front turn signal lights are on simultaneously, with one dim when signaling turn. High beams out message. Hazard switch was not the problem.
Will be checking grounds near front headlights and report back. Appreciate your info- lots of reports of bad hazard switches on line, but none mentioned the high beam message as well.
JimS, did you figure out the problem?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 04 Monte had this issue. Intermittent headlights. No Hi & Lo beams. No headlights at all sometimes. Signal lights got slow then quit. The Multi-function stalk was the problem. Shooting it with CRC Electronic Parts Cleaner helped for a few days. Eventually, ... I went to Chevy for a new one. Nearly choked when the Parts guy told me what it cost including disabled vet's discount. Went to a junk yard for a used one. 75 bucks. Went home with a used stalk still attached to the steering column they removed with the jaws of life. Once you have just the replacement part in hand, ... the fun begins. Pulling the old one and installing the substitute requires having the patience of a Saint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts