Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting hids in my 2006 Impala. I have had problems with my passenger side not lighting up sometimes when i crank up the car. I have to turn the spring knob left 2 times to reignite my lights then it comes on, no problem. But i'm having a flickering problem in the passenger side light. Sometimes it goes out. I installed 1 kit already it did the same thing. They warrantied it and it did it again on the second kit. They said that I would need to disable the automatic light control, because it doesnt give full power. I have a relay hooked up to it b/c of the daytime running lights. I dont run them during the day, but somethings going on being that this happened again on the second kit. Does anyone know how to disable the automatic light control from coming on when you start the car without turning the knob. The guy that sells them said that this will ruin the ballast. Has anybody had problems with their HIDs similar to this. What was your process for installation, if anybodys is working with no problems. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Sense the problem is only one side this should be a simple problem. I assume that the power relays are between the original light bulb plug from the car and the new HID system? If not put a relay there behind each bulb. That way even with the daytime system on the main power for the HID will come from the battery through the relay and not from the car wiring harness (this will eliminate the "not enough power"). Second make sure that all your ground connections are good, a bad ground will also attribute to your problem. If you question the ground run a new ground to the battery. With proper power and ground you should not have to worry if they come on with the engine running.
I have never installed an HID system but I have designed, built and installed a custom daytime running lamp/fog lamp system that was fully automatic with the vehicle's engines start/stop cycles. Though I have not done it yet I can even install this system on older cars and make them fully automatic as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I baught my 06 SS with the hID kit already installed. When I turn the car on my passenger light comes on initially but after a couple minutes it cuts off. Did anyone figure out what this means?

·
Registered
357 Posts
on my car i have the a relay harness installed. that way the ballast get power from the battery itself instead of through the stock lamp wiring.

when i push the unlock button the hids light up. then go off after acouple of seconds. but they turn on right away when i start the car. i did pull the two fuses for the daytime running lights and they come on when the sun is going down. i guess there jus operating normally.

i say just make sure your ground and battery connections from the relay harness are contacting correctly.

my set is from ebay. brand xenon. other members have there ddm kits.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Mine acts identical. Passenger side only. Flickers for a few SECONDs, then goes out. I also replaced all parts and harness and got a redtop Optima and same thing - same issue. No idea why. I have learned to live with it. It always lights up 100% of the time after a flick on the control. So thats what I do - like the old days...LOL. I am convinced as well that is had something to do with ALC. My DRLs are disabled. When I hit unlock, the passenger lights up and works 100% of the time. No flickering. So another way to "fix" it is to ALWAYS hit the unlock remote fob before starting the car. 80% of the time I need to do that anyway. So, I get the issue when starting in my garage having never hit unlock or when turning the key after remote starting the car and ALC kicks in.

Also, if you do a search, folks with Tahoes etc etc have the same exact issues - always the passenger side. Not limited to DDM either. Some guys are just lucky and some are not. I am firmly convinced it is related to GM ALC units. Some quirk in the system.

I too would simply disable ALC if I could.

Short version fix:

1. flick the knob on and off once
OR..

2. ALWAYS hit the fob unlock button first, and then start the car within 20 seconds or so. For this "fix", make sure you set the DIC programming to flash your lights at UNLOCK. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 08 impala lt is the exact same. I unlock the car the passenger side Hid flickers and goes out one time then I hit unlock one more time and they power on fully and don't have a problem the rest of the day unless the car sits for like an hour then you have to do the process over.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
^^ Nobody has solved it - very very common. Cause unknown.

·
Registered
823 Posts
MY question is why not bypass the passenger side wiring all together? Run a 30 amp relay harness off the drivers side? then feed this to both hid kits?

The brand of kit I use only taps into one headlight plug anyway. VVME I havent done them on the 08, but if you only tap into one side, I dont realize how it would be possible for this problem to happen.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
^^^ There is an Idea.... But I still want to know the ^$%^^&^&** cause!!!!!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Here is my theory. Ive installed alot of HID kits in GM vehicles. If you get behind there and look at the harness they are USUALLY (not always, but usually) wired like this. The factory has a thicker wire running to one headlamp socket, USUALLY the drivers side. From there they run a super thin 22 gauge wire to the passenger side pig tailed off of that.

Now lets think about HIDs. They dram in the real of 25-30 amps in their START-UP/ Warm-up phase. Then they will draw less then half the current of comparable halogen bulbs once warmed up.

So if you are tapped in the passenger side, that surge of high current could be overloading the wire causing a temporary flicker.

I have seen the thin crossover wires melted several times.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Interesting^^^. Why would flicking them off and then on result in 100% success then? And, I have a relay harness too, so power is getting there from another source as well. You may be onto something here.........lets keep brainstorming.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts