Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I refuse to put HID bulbs in the stock headlights because they are not designed to run HID bulbs. When I purchased my SS they had HID's and I removed them beacuse the light output was not as good as stock H11 bulbs. I was wondering that since the fog lamps are projector housings would it look dumb to put HID's in the fog lamps and leave stock SilverStar bulbs in the headlights. I know that combination should produce some bright driving lights. Opinions?

·
Registered
913 Posts
What "k" were the HID's in your headlights? The stock h11's don't come close to the light output my 6k's(35w) put out, but my girls car had 10k's when i bought it and I put the h11's in there and it looked 1000x better.

Wait... Do you mean actual stock bulbs, or silverstars? Silver stars are not stock bulbs.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Silver stars are some pretty good lights. I put a set in my DD civic and was very impressed with the output. I still prefer the 6k's in my impala though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not totally sure, but I am thinking they may have been 8,000K. They looked nice but really did not perform very well. I think SilverStar headlights are great. I know the stock headlamp is not designed to run HID bulbs because of the difference in how a normal headlight directs light and how an HID directs light. I am trying to figure out if its going to look dumb to have HID's in the fog lights and SilverStar bulbs in the headlights.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
^^ Correct HIDs will surpass your Silverstars by leaps and bounds. I had Silverstars and switched to 35W 6K - and then, ironically, put the Silverstars in my fog lights just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It must have been 10,000k hids cuz I have 8,000k in my headlights and fogs and they are super bright I know once you go pass 6,000k+ they the light output decreases

·
Registered
823 Posts
WOW. You know the projectors in your foglights are designed for halogen lights as well. They are NOT intended for HIDs. HID projectors are worlds apart! If you are going to be that anal about it.

As for the Silverstars surpassing HIDs. Not believing it. Ive run both even a 15k (really deep blue) is twice as bright as a silverstar.

·
Registered
116 Posts
WOW. You know the projectors in your foglights are designed for halogen lights as well. They are NOT intended for HIDs. HID projectors are worlds apart! If you are going to be that anal about it.

As for the Silverstars surpassing HIDs. Not believing it. Ive run both even a 15k (really deep blue) is twice as bright as a silverstar.
How come the fog lights not made for hid's?

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
^Because why would GM make HID fog light housings, but not offer HIDs on either lows nor fogs?

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
^The only thing confusing is how 15k HIDs were brighter than SS Ultras.......

·
Registered
116 Posts
^Because why would GM make HID fog light housings, but not offer HIDs on either lows nor fogs?
That's kinda crazy just because they didn't come stock with hid fogilights don't mean you can't just get a conversion kit and put em in yourself? I see slot of cars that aren't made stock with hid's and they put in the kits anyway

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
^ well, in cars that come stock with HIDs such as a benz or whatever, the healights have a projector that is specially made for the HID bulb. The foglights on our cars LOOK similar to HID projectors, but apparently are made for halogen.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
I guess I thought Cok3 was meaning why not as is. You can add a kit to anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not saying the fog lamp housing was made for HID bulbs but because of its projector like features, it would probably work with an HID kit better than the headlight housing. Most people throw these HID kits in any vehicle and they are not made for them, and you can tell because I always get blinded by them because they are not even aligned correctly. The fog lights in the Impala are pretty useless anyways, I figured they could actually use an HID kit that was properly aligned. Hey, I'm just sayin...to each his own.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
I'm not saying the fog lamp housing was made for HID bulbs but because of its projector like features, it would probably work with an HID kit better than the headlight housing.
I would assume so. Idk if they have a "cutoff" tho, like an HID projector. But I imagine they would be better than a conventional headlight housing.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
is it not an actual projector, just a housing that looks like a projector? (im referring to the 8th gen fogs)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts