Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this car is my daily driver but i like too smoke (little ricers) i do that now all stock but i want a Cam i already have plans too add a 4.10 Rear end/axle,Long Tube Headers,Cold Air Intake,Bigger Throttle Body i just want my LT1 to lay down 310rwhp and equal or more (foot pounds of torque) since i dont have the LS1 im gonna have to mod up instead but whats the perfect cam for a daily driver LT1?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The best way to get the right cam is to contact the cam manufacturer. Comp Cams has a good tech support site to help you get the right cam. See the link below.

It is almost a black art to select the correct camshaft. Get it right and you will be very happy with the results. Get it wrong and you will be better off with the stock cam.

I have nothing to do with this company. Just trying to give some help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should really do the headers, catback exaust, free-flow cats, and cold-air intake first. It made a huge difference to my 4200lbs car. I had 260hp/330 lb/ft (crank) from the factory. I have maybe 300hp / 350 lb/ft torque (crank) now with the stock iron heads and even in normal relaxed driving it is noticeable. If you really want to do the cams now, try this link. It is the GM Performance LT4 'Hot Cam' kit and was designed by GM for the LT1 as a direct replacement. Summit is company I use alot. They have a great tech info also. Just call and ask.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL-12480002&autoview=sku

Here is link to the cam and lifter kits. There is a selector for street, street/strip, and strip also to help you decide.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294908216+4294840140+4294889104+4294924755+4294925232+4294924497+115+4294861490&rsview=sku&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|1

Here is alittle extra also.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-2019&autoview=sku

And for big future mods a stroker kit can give an LT1 383cu-in about 500hp / 500 lb/ft torque (crank) and still be really good daily driver. Hope this answers all your questions.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Plenty of better cam's & cam/head combo's than the LT4, that 'was' the ticket a few years back but there have been many improvements in the past few years.

Do the basics, as BEN13 mentioned, except for the cats, waste of money unless your's are damaged. Some 3.73 gears, a PCM tune. If automatic a good stall converter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry this is off your topic but...
Hey Gregg-O, are the cats in my Impala ok for the parts that I have, are they the same as the LT1 Camaro or lower flow-rate ? I have to have mine changed and am not sure if stock replacements will do.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
If you are sure they are no good, then some after market Hi-flow cats should be fine, depending on your states inspection laws...and inspectors. Most newer cats , even our Impala's 12 yr old ones flow very well and are not the restriction alot of people think they are. I don't know if the f-body & B-body cats flow the same, but most likely they do.

The biggest restriction on the Impala is the 2 1/4 pipes and the mufflers. Headers, cats, 2 1/2 cat-back and some good muffs should be more than enough for most LT1's even most 383's. Keep in mind Flowmasters are very popular, but DO NOT flow the best. There are alot of muff's out there that flow better, and from a performance stand point, that is what you should look for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts