Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to say that I've been on many sites and this one is definetly the best!! and wanted to give a quick hello to all Impala owners out there!! Quick question ,, I own a 1963 impala 2 door coupe that has unfortunetly decided that it's heater core was time to start leaking! so I have to change it. I looked inside under the glove compartment but for the life of me can't see how it could be removed from the inside. I checked under the hood and from what I can see it looks like I have to remove the hood and fender and inner fender to get at the cover for the heater core? could someone please tell me if this is right or not, and maybe someone who has experience doing this job could give me a step by step procedure. thanks for your time..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its an inside job

I am also brand new to the forum. My 63 SS developed a leaky heater core last year, and although it takes some time and a few skinned knuckles, it is pretty straight forward. You will need to remove the glove box (I bought a replacement from Ecklers since my original was torn and didnt survive the removal). Once you get the glove box out, there are some ducts to get out of the way, and then several cables to disconnect from the top of the plenum. If you have AC then there are two extras I think. Once you get the cables off, the plenum needs to be removed. Several screws around the perimeter of it and then a clamp that attaches it on the right had side. Once you get all the fasteners off, remove the plenum and you have easy access to the core. The only task under the hood is to remove the heater hoses. The longest part of the job is to remove the cables and plenum.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heater core help

Thanks for letting me know how it works, 63 Black SS. I appreciate the info, I will get the spotlight under the dash to see if I can see where everything comes apart, its all painted black under there and hard to see!! ha! ha! I didn't see any screws or anything from the inside when I looked the first time, but if you say it comes out from the inside, I'll try to remove it how you described. wish me luck!! thanks again.
Taildragger.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Hello and welcome to the community. Do you or have you flown tail wheel aircraft? I have 14 hours in a Piper J-3.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts