Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum. Bought a new 2012 Imapla LS back in August. From renting them, I knew I had to have the comfy ride and the new powertrain, with amazing fuel economy for a car this size.

Also got the rare bench seat and column shifter option. Better for the wife's back than a bucket seat.

So far, at 5,500km, here are the pro's and con's

PRO

1. With the LS suspension, they tightened up the ride. It's still soft, but handles well.

2. Amazing powertrain. Consider the same powertrain is in a crossover that is way bigger and heavier.

3. Effortless acceleration. It's easy to surprise a ricer.

4. Great fuel economy.

5. Simple controls. Don't like complicated multi-function displays.

CON

1. Like a minivan, people automatically assume you're old and boring in an Impala.

2. Perhaps too simple controls. My folks had a 2003 Buick LeSabre and you could scroll through the display to see instant oil pressure, instant coolant temp, etc. GM could have kept that feature.

3. Like almost every other car out there, the wipers are useless in heavy snow. Even with winter wiper blades, they soon freeze to the windshield.

4. From new, the cold start the direct injected motor has a bit of a rough idle, and the idle speed "hunts" a bit. Once it goes off high idle, from 1,500 rpm to 1,000 rpm in about 20 seconds, it becomes smooth.

Overall, this is a great car. Huge trunk. Easy to drive for hours on the highway and not get tired.

A great winter car too. Way more steady on snow and ice than my FJ, as I run factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 winter tires. Just don't drive in heavy snow as the wipers let you down.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
welcome need pics

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Winnipegger.

I just picked up a 2012 LS a few weeks ago, and it also has a bit of an unstable idle. However, when it's warmed up it idles at about 600 RPM. You're getting 1000 RPM idle when warm?

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
:welcome: (only +2 degrees here today ):yahoo::lol:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
welcome need pics
Hope to get some up in the next few days. With the black steel winter rims, it looks like an undercover cop car.

I just picked up a 2012 LS a few weeks ago, and it also has a bit of an unstable idle. However, when it's warmed up it idles at about 600 RPM. You're getting 1000 RPM idle when warm?
Once it starts warming up the idle goes to about 600 in D, and is very smooth. The first "cold" start - I have a heated attached garage - the fast idle "hunts" a bit. It then slows to 1,000 RPM and at that point I back out of the garage and drive off.

I have always used Shell gas in the car from new. Tried a few tanks of Shell V Power, which made no difference. Tried a few tanks of Petro Canada regular and premium, no difference. Tried Husky regular and premium, ditto.

I have rented 2012 Impala's with the 3.6 that also have the rough cold idle. Must be something that all direct injection gas motors do.

(only +2 degrees here today )
It was -30 C a couple of nights ago. It actually warmed up this evening to 0 and we went from light snow to freezing rain. Oh joy

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
welcome and pics

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts
Welcome!!:beer: We NEED pics!!! :eek:k3:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The dodges are a little finicky when you start them too, also direct injection. The main thing I've noticed, is that they STINK when you start them, I don't get that one...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok those photos are huge, not sure why.

The front profile, about the only modification I have made is a "winter front" to block most of the grille. Helps with warmup and maintaining proper operating temps below 0 F.

Couldn't figure how to route the factory block heater plug out the grille. Took some -40 outdoor rated 12/3 industrial extension cord, put on a couple Hubbell plugs. Was easy to run the extension cord through the grille, then wire it up.

At this point the only other modification would be the steel wheels and the factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 winter tires. Had some fun at green lights today, the Impala can easily blow the doors off a 4x4.

As far as cold start, since I have an attached garage I should be able to notice any sort of smell. Nothing out of the ordinary. A lot of condensation drips from the rear mufflers though

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Reactions: SCOTTYINWV

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Didn't catch that on the plastic

·
Super Moderator
18,506 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I had to read quite a ways down, finally I found the part that said they were high impact abs. Not that that would be so bad, but I don't think the chrome would last.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts