Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just purchased a used 2011 Impala LT over weekend, I love the way it drives. Just one thing I noticed and I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this but is it normal to hear a low whistle sound from the engine at times at stop lights? The temp has been in the 20s here I wasn't sure if its normal. I may have follow back up with the dealer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice car! You can increase the chance of getting an answer by going into the forums tab > Performance and Technical > Chevy Impala 8th Gen.

Also, just to avoid confusion because it had to be cleared up for me: Your year is Eighth Gen on this forum, which is what Wikipedia calls my year (2004)...:eek:k3:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

In the 20's and sh!tload of snow!

I had a '10 LT, and I think I know that whistle.

I never worried about it as I figured it was just intake or PVC whistle.

Mine went 215K, with no issues. Never changed the trans oil or filter, ran 14K oil changes on Mobi 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 and Wix/NAPA filters, changing the filter at 7k-ish and adding back to full.

Don't put cheap rotors on it; spend for the best rotors the store has or they'll warp long before the pads wear out.

·
Premium Member
18,508 Posts
Welcome!! :beer: I require pics of said car, or it didn't happen!!!:D

Reactions: David3800

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Welcome from East Lansing.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Welcome!

I have an 08 LTZ and I know the whistle you speak of (I think). It's barely audible on idle, and almost can't be heard at all from outside with the hood down. I'm pretty sure it's intake, I wouldn't worry about it. Had a professional mechanic look at it and he agreed.

·
Premium Member
18,508 Posts
It may have been a different decade, but when my parents bought our new Oldsmobile Omega in '73 it had a LOUD whistle under the hood. It hadd a 350 4 barrel. We took it to the dealer, and the mechanic said it was nothing to worry about. It was the sound of POWER!:laugh

He was right too, that car could SMOKE 'em!!:eek:k3:

Reactions: David3800

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome to Impala Forums!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.