Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just bought a 2012 Impala, used, with 42000 km at $15,998 CD. I traded in a 2003 Malibu i had purchased for the same price with the same mileage at the same dealer in 2003.

I hope the Impala treats me as well as the Malibu did.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Welcome post some pics of the car. What trim level?

·
Super Moderator
10,792 Posts
Welcome , pics before Tony gets ya :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
pics Welcome! :beer: What did pics you get? LT, LTZ? :dunno: pics Maybe you can post a pic or two ,yes? :yahoo::wink:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sorry, email problem

Hey guys. Thanks for all the kind posts. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but my buddy who runs the email server for the email address I used switched providers and so this account didn't work for a week or so.

I believe my car is the LS.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/impala/model-detail01-key-features

Mine doesn't have the spoiler on the rear. I wish it had a bum warmer though.

I would send you pics but it's covered in snow and ice right now. It had ~43K klicks on it when I purchased it, and those were all country miles in Saskatchewan. The former person using it was a Chevy regional rep, and the miles were basically him driving it around the province. It does have a lot of little stone chips on the front of the hood. I think I'll get that fixed this summer. I picked it up in Winnipeg on Dec 21st.

I have a slightly sagging drivers side door, which I think I will take in and get repaired this week (we're having a bit of a blizzard right now, so I thought I would wait a little). When I take it in, I will need to get another key done, and have the FOB programmed.

I just checked Chevy's website. I believe the colour is "gold mist metallic" (at least it's the closest match I can see).
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in this dealership. When I bought my Malibu from them 9 or so years ago, they were tripping over themselves trying to help me with any little thing. This time, after all was said and done, the salesman comes outside and hands me a single key. I asked him, where's the FOBs and spare key, and all I got was "I don't know, this is all there is". So, I asked him if this car had keyless entry, and he actually told me no. I had to look the car up on Chevy's Canadian website to see that all the Impalas sold in Canada in 2012 have keyless entry standard. A few days later I called him to ask if he had located a remote, and he actually told me that this car didn't need a special key and I could have any key cut for it. He actually said that, and that he had "researched" it. Man, even the owners manual I downloaded tells you that you need a Chevy key, and how to program it.

This on top of, when I saw the car on their website, it was listed at $13998. That was 2K less than the Malibu. I watched it for a few weeks before I decided to go test drive it. I phoned ahead of time, gave the salsman the stock number, make, model, year, colour, milage and price. When I got there we talked about what sort of payments I was expecting, and I told him about the same as I did on my Malibu. He hedged over that and claimed it might be hard to do because "times have changed". I said, "yeah, they have, the bottom dropped out of the auto sales market a few years ago, so I should be able to get a car for less now". After the test drive, he told me he arranged payments about the same but for a year longer. I was puzzled at first, but when we went to their financial officer, she was doing all the paper work and that's when I discovered they were working off of a price of $15998. I was like "wtf"? She said "this is the price I was given", and I made her to go the website and see the car at $13998. She called the manager down, and he says "oh, that's an error on the website, press this and that and the other thing" and suddenly the price on the car goes up by $2K. I'm like, "wtf do you take me for? If I don't get the price that was on the website, I'm walking" I told them that I don't want to blame anyone for anything, but this looks like bate and switch to me. He asked me if I was willing to loose the car over $2000 and I just laughed and said "F-yeah, you can put the price down where it was or I'll go purchase a Toyota". Even their financial officer told me she agreed with me. The manager says "the price didn't change, it was just an error", and I told him "don't give me that, I just watched the price change right in front of my eyes on your website, don't tell me I didn't see what I saw".

Well, I can't say for sure if it was an error or not, but there's no way I was going to pay $2K more than it was listed for. Finally he came back and gave me the car at $13,998. Then I walk out and find out I don't get a spare key or a remote (even though I gave them a spare and two FOBs for my Malibu).

So, next time I go looking for a car, I won't be going back there. I really don't appreciate the "error", and not getting a spare and a remote is beyond stupid IMO. It just never occurred to me that they would sell a car with keyless entry and not give you a remote. I'm pretty disappointed in them this time around and I won't purchase another car from them.

When the blizzard is over, and I have the door fixed, and I have given it a wash, I'll post a pic.

Funny...the dealership said it's gold. It looks like a dirty, slightly gold tinted, well I really don't know what colour it is. When I went to insure it, the agent told me there were no choices for "gold" (which is pretty stupid since I could have had it painted for all she knew). She looked out the window and called it brown. Lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome, sorry to hear of your troubles purchasing the car. Way to go about standing your ground on the price and the stealers wonder why people put them in the same boat as lawyers. I experienced the same key/FOB BS when my wife purchased her latest ride. You know that everyone of those stealers retain the FOB's on every trade in vehecle and get them reprogramed for other simular cars. Just burns my but. Sorry about the rant, just wanted to get it off chest. There is a website out there where I believe you can get a replacement FOB for about fifty US. Oh, by the way, what is the conversion of 42xxx km to miles, roughly.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That low of mileage and the door is already messed up, and the fobs missing? I'd give it back... That part about the dealer stealing and keeping the fobs is unfortunately almost certainly true. I used to work at a dealer that required us to take the floor mats out of every trade in, no matter what condition they were in, custom, etc. Not so they could be used for something else, we simply threw them away. Point being, dealerships are run by the dumbest motherf***ers on the face of the planet. When they pull crap like this, stay on them, and file complaints. It will never stop if people don't take a stand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it's a nice car with low milage

I'm hoping I get as many years from this car as I did my Malibu. It certainly has a much nicer ride, and it only cost $80 more a year to insure.

I have noticed that when idling the RPMs seem to vary slightly. When warmed up it idles at about 600 RPM, and you can just see the RPM needle going up and down slightly. That and the drivers side door are about the only problems I've seen so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, doesn't it figure? I got out from work today to find a note on my car. Yup, someone hit it. Back rear bumper, drivers side. Have to wait a week for an appointment with my insurer. Pretty much sucks the big one.

·
Super Moderator
10,792 Posts
At least they left a note :clap:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't always happen...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True Enough

You're right about that. Many people driving old beaters would have just driven away. It was a teenager who ran into the car, and I congratulated his mother on raising her kid properly. Turns out the fender bender did more damage to their car then it did to mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts