Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hopefully they help. The Firestone Firehawks on mine make it the worst car I've ever driven on slick roads. It won't take off from a stop, and it won't turn. I can honestly say that my Corvette's where better in those conditions... Luckily I have my trusty Duramax when the "old man" arrives.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really!! I mean REALLY! You have that much traction issues with the Firehawks! Man, granted these are not the best choice I wouldve picked for these cars, but I cant imagine you having that much traction issues. I have zero traction issues with the same tires you have and I drive in many conditions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Really!! I mean REALLY! You have that much traction issues with the Firehawks! Man, granted these are not the best choice I wouldve picked for these cars, but I cant imagine you having that much traction issues. I have zero traction issues with the same tires you have and I drive in many conditions.
Don't drive in the snow much, do you? Really, and I mean REALLY, they are that bad. No, it's not my imagination. Please...

·
Registered
82 Posts
:cool: You may be on to something there. I've only been driving in Colorado for 36 years. Last week was the first time I've ever driven in snow....... :eek:k3: Thanks for your brilliant insight... :giggle:

·
Registered
82 Posts
And you are dim. Trying to make yourself out to be an all knowing hero, yet you have no clue. Hey, if it helps your self esteem, have at it, and enjoy. Maybe try sugarcoating your own BS a little, and folks might take you a little more seriously. Feel free to get your last word in, as folks like you must, and then this thread can get back on track. AMF

·
Registered
432 Posts
Come on fellers! We are all in this together, no need for causing grief here! We get enough at work and home!

Any ways not taking any sides here but I dumped my firehawks with about 40% left on them. I used mine for three years and replaced them with Generals GT43 65k miles warranty installed with road hazzard for $550.00. Very satisfied with them after an ice storm today and 8" snow storm so far.

I would not fault any one finding any of the O.E. tires as junk for the 9th generation. They are bad.

Pat

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The stock Firehawks fit our driving well. I'd probably buy them again if they could be had for a good price.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Technically "word" counted as your last word. Anyway.....glad we have all that over with.

Reactions: retiredpauly

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have Firehawks as stock, I have the RS-A on 19-inchers - I bought a set of 18" wheels for easy swapping at the start and end of winter, and a new set of TPMS sensors, and a TPMS activation tool.

I'm driving 500 miles a week now so I wanted a real snow tire and I had good experiences with my previous Nokian tires some time back ago on a Cobalt (which lacked any sort of driver assists: no ABS, TC, etc.) They are Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 235/50R18XL 101R BSW - got them from tires-easy.com - had never used them before but they have free shipping and free road hazard protection.

Haven't had a decent snow yet to test them and the "freezing" rain last night hadn't begun to freeze yet, in fact it was 72°F on Thursday afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
I have heard good things about those tires. ( Nokian ) and I think there are few members on there that either have them or had them and say they are the way to go. My next set will be those. I have to wait for my "Nordic Tracks" to wear out. They too are really good and I have only one complaint about them and that they are NOISY ! ..
More like a tractor tread with a kind of "chevron" design to them. Great grip and really good in deep snow, about average on ice.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I agree with Bobx, I live in the Northeast and the Firehawks aren't good in winter conditions. But remember, the are high performance All Season tires. More of a summer tire than an all season in my opinion. I think they are good three season tires. I have them on during the winter but I'd rather use snow tires. But way too much money for winter tires. When it comes time to change my Firehawks I will go with a different tire. Firehawks are way too expensive for the quality they offer.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I can suggest moving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the 18 inch size, man, IDK. But I have always had very good luck with, what I call, the big 3. Michelin, BEGoodrich and Uniroyal. If I could find a lower speed rating than H or V and preferably a S or T rating, Im going that route. But in the meantime, Im running the HAWKS til they wear out.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
After having BF Goodrich Long Trail tires on my truck for a little over 3 years and less than 15,000 miles and them being pretty worn out I am not impressed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.