Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bone stock 96 impala ss and I just paid it off after 3 years, got from a older collector only had 67,000 when I got it. So now I am about to start "waking up the beast" as my mechanic told me. I was just wondering how fast should I be able to go stock before it starts to vibrate and is that a problem I got to about 110 and it started vibrating and couldnt seem to get past that? Is that a problem that needs fixing and if so..how? Thanks for any help :eek:k3:

·
Registered
624 Posts
what shape r the tires,air pressure, get the tires rebalance. try again, may be driveshaft? whats the fine for speeding?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol they are the original model tires the BF Goodrich g Force T/A, air pressure is normal. I stay in NC and it was late so I figured wth?! I thought the top speed was higher than that though? Any reason why I wouldn't be able to get past that, fuel tank might have been a little low?!?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If those tires are the OEM from the factory then get them changed NOW. Replace with the same type if you want but do not be driving on them for they could explode at any time. Most tire manufactures recommend no more than 6 years from manufacture for a tire and many really prefer us not to go over 4 years. A friend of mine had the "Ring of Death" blow out on one of his tires that had less than 1/3 of the miles used but was 13 years old. He keeps the vehicle in the garage most of the time except for weekend car shows. He was accelerating on to a highway when the side wall blew out.

Your car should be able to go about 149 to 154 mph when all is right.

Many factors can play whether you are able to get it up to its top speed, such as headwind, tire condition and balance, mechanical issues, and even how you accelerate. I would after getting the tires changed give it a good tune up, make sure the fuel is fresh and proceed from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you 77impala, feels good not having car payments and a little extra $ to put into my car..maybe I worded it wrong those aren't the original tires just the same kind that came with the car I got some more about 1 1/2 ago. Also would you recommend I buy one of those performance chips on Ebay for a quick fix to gain some more HP or should I just stick with a K&N air filter?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The "chips" are useless. Don't fall for the gimmick. DwayneJ has many usefull posts on these LT1 engines. He is the expert in getting the most power for your buck and his numbers at the track proves it.

Having the PCM re-tuned will be a better investment on waking up this beast. Now rerouting the coolant flow to the throttle body (bypassing it), home plate delete, first base delete are some things I have heard/read that will be cheap and effective in waking up this engine. Follow DwayneJ advice and after you get the most or all mods done then have the PCM re-tuned and you will be set.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I guess I can start with a k&n and go from there..im doing a complete overhaul. Look to be done this winter...will post pics.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
:Jka: :Jka:

Post some pics, I love to see B bodie builds, I will own one some day. And DwayneJ is the man to talk to when it comes to the LT1

Attachments

Reactions: Papa D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Chips in a naturally aspirated engine are a waste of money in most cases. And they will probably blow your engine or mess with the other electronics in your car.

Go get yourself some mechanical upgrades instead.

As for the tires: get them rebalanced. If this won´t do the trick, get your control-arms, suspension etc checked out.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Why has nobody brought up the speed governor? You probably hit it, thats why it wouldn't go any faster, it needs to be tuned out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can any local shop tune it or do I have to go to the dealership? (I hate going there btw) Thanks for all your help it may be time for a balance and I def want that speed restrictor off? Like having a toy you can't play with

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Home

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

PCMperformance Programming

The tunes are out there, just have to do a forum/google search. Maybe some b body owners will chime in with answers of who to go to for it :eek:k3:

For the best results you could look for local shops that will dyno tune your LT1.

Don't let just any joe blow start tuning your car, as they can really [email protected]#K something up if they don't do it right...

I would install any go fast goodies you plan on throwing at it before the tune or you will need to redo it afterwards for the best results.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Congrats on having a paid for ride - great feeling isn't it :D

I agree with the above, make the car safe and don't worry about smoothing it out at 110. Shouldn't be near that anyway :D

Enjoy the car, they are great to mod and keep it safe.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I think pcmforless was the preferred vendor, but not sure, ask DwayneJ. The dealer won't tune a damn thing for you, they will only restore factory settings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So what would I need to ask for in particular to tune the PCM and remove speed restrictor? Are there any other questions they may ask that I need to be prepared for like a certain way?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Get up with DwayneJ for info broski

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Just VIN and current mods, deleting the governor is basic stuff, usually included in any tune. But do ask Dwayne, there are a few vendors out there that have tunes that make the car run terrible.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
As for the basic "Freebies"... Home Base delete with a swiss cheese job on the air box and doing the TB bypass for the coolant has proven to free up a few ponies. There are debates on K&N vs Paper Filters. Do a tune up. Those things will wake that beast up with out spending much $$ at all and will make the costly upgrades that much better.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Also AIR system delete.

Reactions: Papa D
1 - 20 of 24 Posts