Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy, odd issue I'm having with my 06 SS. Recently I've noticed that when I am in 4 cylinder mode & riding the brake to come to a stop, I get a hesitation / vibration as the car comes out of 4 cylinder and switches to 8. It only happens for a brief moment just before I stop and the car goes from 4 to 8 cylinder mode. I know this is the issue because if I drive in D3 the car stays in 8 mode & everything is fine. The vibration is not too bad but it is noticeable.

Anyone else experience something like this, any ideas / suggestions???

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Sounds like you didn't put enough quarters in......

But in seriousness, have you checked the calipers, pads and rotors?Maybe the brakes are causing it.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
i dont think its the brakes since it doesnt do it when the DOD is off.

I have the same car and i've never noticed this, but ill see if i notice it when i go to work tonight

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brakes / Rotors were my first guess, and so I put her in D3 to test the theory of it being the DOD kicking off. D3 No problems so I eliminated the Brake Rotor theroy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my impala does this a little bit too. i was thinking it was the transmission because if i shift to N while coasting to a stop it does not happen. never thought about the 4cyl to 8 cyl.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have noticed that my SS only does the jerking when I come to a quick stop. If I smoothly come to a stop I do not feel anything.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
abo, where do you live? In MI , we are having 105 degree days, so car is doing some different stuff than usual for me (suspension noises). If the problem just arose and you just recently have been experiencing hotter than normal temps, I would wait until it cools down a bit and then see if the issue is still there. If it is, check or replace the oil pressure sensor - that has something to do with DOD and seems to cause strange issues if dirty or defective.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys, I live in Philly and we've been in the upper 90's for the past couple weeks. Very true it could be heat related, I know I get all kind of weird issues when the temps drop below 40.

Last night I disconnected the batter to allow the computer to reset and relearn. Haven't driven much since then but I still notice the issue. I'll keep everyone posted, and if anyone else want's to chime in please do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
questions

How many miles on the odometer? Changed trans lubricant lately? If over 50,000 in mileage, I suggest, as a first solution, you change the trans fluid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She only has 37K on the odometer, not sure but I don't think it's a trans issue. It's similar to running over the rigged wake up strips just before you get to a bridge and pay a toll. Not that intense but similar, once DOD kicks off and I go into 8 mode and come to a complete stop she's fine.

It almost seems like an idle issue or the cylinders are firing incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Have you looked into the oil pressure sensor yet? That controls a lot of DOD. It still seems like a possible culprit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TSS I have not checked the oil pressure sensor, where is it located and what is a good way to check / test it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just wondering if you ever found out the problem to this? My 08 SS is doing the same thing and I would like to get this fixed. Please advise.

Thanks, Scott.

·
Registered
57 Posts
it most likely is the DOD activation and the timing chain. from what i have read when the car switches from 8 cyl to 4 cyl the timing chain becomes loosened and makes a noise while in 4 cyl mode. switching back to 8 cyl the noise goes away. apparently its normal. my impala ss does it all the time and i normally run around in 3rd gear so it does not go into DOD mode.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I don't have this noise or vibration at all. I am guessing it happens after some wear and tear. Hope mine surfaces before my GMPP expires 9/2013! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Guys, after posting this message I went through a nightmare with my SS. Let just say in the matter of 4 - 5 weeks I had an airbag Module replaced, a transmission replaced, a motor mount replaced my PCM and ECM both replaced, the front axel replaced along with new front pads and resurfaced rotors because when the axel popped it threw grease all over the brakes and rotors. As I type the car is in for a power steering leak (i did have it serviced for the PS recall a year and a half or so back). So YEAH!

Since the PCM and ECM were replaced I've noticed this vibration issue a lot less but still happen on occasion. They could never duplicate and I was told it was the magnaflows vibrating against the body - Yea Right! It's really cold here in the Northeast right now and I am not sure if this plays a factor. After all the above mentioned the vibration issue seemed like not really an issue any more. Thank god I bought the GMPP warranty or I'd be really F-ed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey Guys, after posting this message I went through a nightmare with my SS. Let just say in the matter of 4 - 5 weeks I had an airbag Module replaced, a transmission replaced, a motor mount replaced my PCM and ECM both replaced, the front axel replaced along with new front pads and resurfaced rotors because when the axel popped it threw grease all over the brakes and rotors. As I type the car is in for a power steering leak (i did have it serviced for the PS recall a year and a half or so back). So YEAH!

Since the PCM and ECM were replaced I've noticed this vibration issue a lot less but still happen on occasion. They could never duplicate and I was told it was the magnaflows vibrating against the body - Yea Right! It's really cold here in the Northeast right now and I am not sure if this plays a factor. After all the above mentioned the vibration issue seemed like not really an issue any more. Thank god I bought the GMPP warranty or I'd be really F-ed.
Abo421, I am so sorry to hear you had to go through all that and am hoping there are no more replacements in your future! If you have any lingering questions after the dust settles, please don't hesitate to send me a direct message.

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
57 Posts

Wow that would be enough for me to get rid of the car:icon_blackeye:. What you need to do is get a tuner and turn off DoD once and for all. Shouldn't have an issue any longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought about getting rid of her, but I'd get screwed out any decent money if someone ran a car fax and saw what she'd just been through. If I go tuner route I risk loosing coverage on the GMPP. I look at it this way, with all those new parts and 2.5 years left on GMPP mine as well keep her. A LOT of problems I attribute to shitty dealer service.

Great side note on Power Steering Leak I had over the weekend. March of 10 I get the Recall letter so I take her right in to have the P/S cooler line done. About 6 months later that LONG time Chevy dealership closes. This weekend I have a major Power Steering leak, take her to a great New Chevy Dealership that has just opened and has been great to me so far. They tell me old Dealership X put in a recall claim in March of 10 collected the $ and didn't replace shit. Said leak was from the P/S cooler line, they knew it was original from the part # stamped on the line.

Ain't that some shit?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts