Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 has only 20k orig well pampered miles. I drove it home in november to park for the winter, and it saw its first snow ever. I gave it a good bath before i parked it. In feb i put new intake and flowmaster catback exhaust on. in early april i finally pulled it out and took a nice 30 minute ride in some light rain, on they way home i started to hear this noise comming from the passenger rear wheel. I figured the exhaust was rubbing up against the spring since it sits right by it, after checking everything seemed fine. Basically it seems to be more prevelant after putting a few miles on. I took it to a garage for an alignment and to check it out, and they thought it was something to do with the parking break liner, but everything with the breaks looked ok, except the inside of the break disc had some rust. The garage had a scheduled appointment so he cleaned up a small amount of the rust, and told me it would be safe to drive six hours home, and to lightly apply the parking break at low speeds for a few seconds here and there and it should clear up. Another garage said they thought it was the bearing, since it sometimes seems to make the noise more when the front wheels are turned, causing stress on the rear end. He suggested buying a whole new axle with the bearings already pressed in since you risk messing up the axle when pulling the old bearings out. Can't you just get bigger bearings so they dont make noise? How much might a new rear end be? Do u think it could be somethin else? I could have added more of what i know so far, but this is too long as it is. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Get a second and third opinion, preferably at shops where the family tree branches out. They sound like they are full of it and trying to get some money out of you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually they aren't trying to rob me on this one at all, they suggested getting the axle, and work done at a gm garage, They also checked the breaks for for free, and treated me good on the allignment, and idler arm, the first garage couldn't do the alignment because i needed an idler arm, and i wanted the moog one that they didn't have, and had to go back to maryland the next day. I'm gonna try and get more opinions, but i live in a tourist area, and alot of these garages see pa plates in maryland and take you for all they can, so i have to be careful. I'm suprised this noise isn't somethin you have seen before.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
When was the last time YOU checked the rear end to verify there is fluid/grease in there? Also, have you had anyone put the car in gear while its in the air?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention i put the proper rear end gasket in the rear end and the correct amount of fluid as well back in feb when i did the bolt ons. We jacked up the rear and put it in neutral after i heard the noise and the bearings feel fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you do any work to the differential itself? Install a posi or locker?
How about brakes, are the rears adjust right, snug, but not overly tight?

Double double check everything you can think of before you start replacing parts that may not be bad.
You say it has only 20K well driven miles, so unless the bearings are bad to start with, I'd look at other rotating parts. U joints? carrier bearings?

Hope this helps :biggrin:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Does it stop when you apply the breaks? Do you think that particular half of the axle shaft is bent? I think a new one is around $140. A suspension tech should be able to inspect that and let you know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you do any work to the differential itself? Install a posi or locker?
How about brakes, are the rears adjust right, snug, but not overly tight?

Double double check everything you can think of before you start replacing parts that may not be bad.
You say it has only 20K well driven miles, so unless the bearings are bad to start with, I'd look at other rotating parts. U joints? carrier bearings?

Hope this helps :biggrin:
All i did to the rear was change the gasket to the one with the holes, and replace the fluid. Are disc breaks adjustable?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does it stop when you apply the breaks? Do you think that particular half of the axle shaft is bent? I think a new one is around $140. A suspension tech should be able to inspect that and let you know.
It does not stop when the breaks are applied.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know this post is old but what's the verdict? What did it turn out to be and what did you replace? Always informational for other people to know as well, they could have the same problem in the future. :beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts