Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got sick of my 1995 Buick Roadmaster leaking oil all over the driveway (even though it purrs like a kitten) and I have decided to rebuild the top end. I found the following heads on eBay for $900.00. My questions are, 1. Is this casting number compatible with my '95 LT1 block; 2. What would the best cam selection be for maximum horse power? (I drive my car on the highway regularly, so keeping some basic "streetability" is kinda a requirement.) 3. Will these heads work with my Gen 1 Tri Y's and finally has anyone seen any better smokin' deals on ported aluminum heads I should know about? This guy always has a set of heads for sale (5 available) on eBay and has great feedback. These are the ones I have my heart set on but if there is a better deal out there I want to know! Roadmasters Rule!:eek:k3:

The heads are described as follows: "This is a brand new set of LT1 # 643 Casting heads that have been bowl ported by Golen Engine, they have Manley Stainless Steel 2.00"/1.56" valves, a three angle performance valve job, they are resurfaced to 54cc and have a Comp Cams # 987-16 valve springs with hardened retainers, springs seats and locks with Viton metal jacket valve seals. This head will produce up to 450hp when matched with the proper camshaft. Feel free to call Golen with any questions on these heads as well as matching camshafts. THIS AUCTION IS FOR A PAIR OF THESE HEADS READY TO BOLT ON."

·
Registered
418 Posts
What's wrong with Golen? Could it be built the same way from anyone else? What kind of suggestions do you have? ALL information is appreciated. :beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, why not Golen? I haven't bought the things yet is there something specific I should know about their company? Is there a better place to get aftermarket aluminum heads? What cam would you pick for them?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Golen builds garbage. Plain and simple. Golen "ported heads" are really not worth the "savings". Reminds me of a few Golen stories.

It leaks oil.... so you are swapping the heads. Well that makes perfect sense! My door seal leaks, so I am replacing the entire door! You need to do an intake gasket, and a valve cover gasket to take care of the upper oil leaks. The intake manifold gasket is known for leaking.

If it purrs like a kitten with stock heads, don't put crap on top of it. A cam swap will take care of most of the other problematic oil leaks, as the majority of those seals/gaskets have to be replaced. You are much better off spending an extra $200 on a much better cam than the stuff in the summit catalog, than using poorly ported heads, and a mediocre camshaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts