Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the situation, started working on my front brakes earlier today and its been downhill since the get go. I bought all new brakes parts... Rotors, bearings, pads, and calipers. I got the rotors and the bearing put together just fine but when it came to putting the new caliper on it just wouldn't fit. The pads were either to thick or the rotor was too wide... My buddy and me have been dumbfounded all day trying to figure this shit out. :bang: So to try and see if another way would work we put the old pads back on, new rotors and calipers as well. Everything went together just fine since they weren't as thick of pads. We took it off the jacks put the tires on, everything good to go right? :yikes:

Taking it down the road everything seems fine the way we had it. Once we bring it back into the shop to look everything over again the rim was warm to the touch, mind you we only went around the block one time. We took the rim off and the rotors were smoking and so hot you couldn't even touch them. Working on it for so long and getting nowhere we just gave up... :WTF:

Has anyone else ran into a situation like this before? I'm so lost on why they would be so hot and also why the new pads won't work with the new calipers and rotors. :gaah:

I bought the parts from Autozone so they're Duralast. That's all that was available to me that they had in stock.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated :hope:

·
Registered
195 Posts
well, with the new calipers....did you compress the piston so that it would fit over the new pads? well, the calipers were new so i wouldnt imagine them needing to be compressed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they were brand new and didn't need to be compressed. We tried so many different possibilities and still no results. Another thing I forgot to mention is that when we tried to take the rim back off after our lil trip it wouldn't budge. I had to pound it off with a hammer from behind.

And not just a couple love taps that you would give your ol lady, had to bang that bitch like a street hooker.

Once it did come off there were metal slivers from the rim. No idea why that would happen either. The only thing I could come up with is that possibly they had TWO rotors in stock that were both defective. I don't know how it would be possible but thats the best I could come up with :dizzy:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The wheel being stuck the way you describe sounds like the hub of the rotor is too large in diameter. The rest of the issues imply that either the rotors are too thick (coupled with the other obvious rotor issue this seems likely) or the caliper isn't wide enough. Take the rotors back, you already know the hub diameter is wrong (I don't know how you got the bearings to work) have them measure the thickness and compare to factory specs, that should tell you whether or not the calipers were wrong as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts