Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the first time it happened was about two weeks ago i was drivin on the freeway put my foot down on the gas and when it got to about 80 the car stopped giving power the speed completely stopped for about 2-3 seconds then came back. now its fdoing it everytime i put my foot all the way on the gas wqhen it reaches about that speed. the last nite it started leaking tranny fluid under the passenger side of the car. its smoking on the under side. i will b takin pics but ne help or pointers in the right direction is much appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 96 chevrolet ss impala. heres sum pic of the general area the pic of the door on the underside of that is where its comin from and the pic of the torque converter theres a drip coming off oif that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has over drive and as i said with the pics also that is the general area of where the leak is coming from. i have yet to pinpoint exactly where its coming from:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I'm gonna bring my car to aamco let them have a look at it. I'll see what they have to say. Hope it's not in need of a new transmission

·
Registered
557 Posts
I can tell you what they're gonna say, "It needs a trans with a new torque converter." Oh yeah, and they'll "rebuild it" Even though they have like 10 already rebuilt transmissions in stock. So you definitely don't get your trans back. If I were you I'd take it to a reputable trans shop that's not a franchise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thats y u always get a 2nd oppinion, but thanx for the heads up. damn im surprised no1 else has put in their .02 :frown: u know where i could get a cheap air intake kit? off ebay maybe one that was made for another car but will work on mine? i really need one but dont have 250 to buy one. i'd even buy a used one if any1 has one.:wink:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I had priced rebuilt trans from Auto Zone and O'Reilly Auto parts and found a local performance shop that was able to rebuild my TH200R for less including removal and reinstall for less than I could have just bought the tranny with my discount from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Check with your friends and some of the local shops and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well one thing they said was that the intake manifold has a leak. they want $700-$900 to fix.................i talked to my dad he said its easy to fix so he's gonna help me, free of charge:wink: . also they said all the engine oil is coming from. now i forgot what its called but whats the name of the part that the engine oil filter plugs into? he said a seal or suthin on that is leakin but i looked at it and it looks easy enough to fix. and my cooler lines were leaking but i fixed that myself. im gonna have another shop look at it and see if they say anything about the intake manifold to make sure theyre not pullin my chain.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
The intake manifold is a common leak area. So is the "oil filter adapter" you were talking about. The oil filter adapter was put together with a cheap paper gasket from GM. The updated gasket is metal sandwiched by paper gasket, makes for a cleaner install and useful replacement.

Like I told you, come by and get it checked FREE. Most here will tell you we dont BS and we dont sell you parts you dont need. Hell, we are cheaper than most anyone out there as far as repairs.

Your intake manifold can be resealed by us for $ 300.00 labor, $100-150 for materials (gaskets,sealer,vacuum lines as needed,etc..)

Oil filter adapter parts and labor $70.00

Not sure where those clowns are getting $700-900 to knock out the intake repair.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would love to come down there and have you take a look, problem is your 7 hours away from me. i will make a trip, i just have to get my car in good enougs running condition to make that kinda trip. good news is though they didnt say anything about my tanny or torque converter needing to be replaced or anything. and i also appreciate the invite as soon as i am able to i will make the trip. i have friends down there that i deployed with that i would love to see anyways

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Sorry did not know you were that far away. Anytime you have questions about a repair/price, post it so ALL of us can chime in and see if your people are trying to pull one over on you. We are here to help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts