Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I want to replace my factory radio however I still need acess to features like reseting oil life and the tire pressure monitor ETC.. also I would like to add some 22 inch rims any advice please help!!!!!!
I have a 2004 chevy implala v6 3.4

·
Registered
657 Posts
just curious, whats your reasoning for wanting to get rid of the radio? you have a couple options you could do.
- install the new aftermarket deck in the dash and relocate factory radio to trunk using relocation wiring harness found here:http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1775_American+International+GWH-22.html
if you dont do this relocation, you will lose all door and warning chimes and the simplicity of resetting idiot lights through the radio.
you could also do as i did and instead of replacing the head unit, just get a cd changer and/or xm radio that broadcast through the radio via fm transmitter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey just thought id add in my experience i have an '01 ls with an aftermarket radio and 20" rims. the radio question is easy metra makes a wiring harness that makes any aftermarket radio work with ur onstar and all door chimes the downside is it is 100 bucks. i was an installer at circuit city and this is all we did no relocation jazz that looks trashy. and too reset ur oil chage light and ect.. all u do is turn the car to the on postion and then press the gas 3 time in like 10 seconds i think it is its in the owners manual. as for 22's i like they way they look but for ride quality and not having to worry about rubbing id go with 20's i love mine they look amazing. so just thought id add in my 2 cents and hopfully i helped

·
Registered
657 Posts
true you can buy the chime modules to keep your door chimes and everything, and yes you can press the gas pedal with the key in the acc position to reset some lights and also pull the headlight switch in and out so many times to reset other lights. but you still lose the ability to change settings easily, such as lights flashing when locking or unlocking using the key fob, which may not seem like a big deal now, but lets say you upgrade to HID headlights. do you really want the HIDs flashing on and off twice everytime you lock and unlock your car? how about when you have to get a new key fob or your battery dies in your fob and you want to reprogram it. can you do it without the factory radio? yes, but its much easier to do with the radio installed. its a wiring harness that runs your radio to the trunk so you still have all those features. it doesnt look trashy at all. no different than having a cd changer mounted in there. in fact its very useful. but thats just one impala owners opinion from another. i think pretty much all the pros and cons have been covered here, so its left up to you now to decide how you want to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts