Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Any GM dealership or ACDelco jobber can quickly identify the correct part based upon your car’s VIN.

I have replaced the idler pulleys and belt tensioner on my Corvette, and other GM cars. The OEM part is not that expensive - you may want to check with a dealer to ensure you get the correct one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I got the Duralast pulley because AutoZone is closer than the dealership. I ran into another problem though, my breaker bar stripped out the tensioner and now I can't get the belt back on. Any ideas on how to disengage the tensioner without using the 3/8" breaker bar hole?

There are a couple horizontal slots in the bracket, so I wonder if a crow bar would work. I plan to replace the tensioner assembly, but my car is currently broken down in my employer's parking lot, and I'd like to get it out of there before I swap the part. Unfortunately I'd don't have roadside assistance on my insurance and I'd like to avoid paying a $75 towing charge if I can.

Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks everyone. I got the Duralast pulley because AutoZone is closer than the dealership. I ran into another problem though, my breaker bar stripped out the tensioner and now I can't get the belt back on. Any ideas on how to disengage the tensioner without using the 3/8" breaker bar hole?

There are a couple horizontal slots in the bracket, so I wonder if a crow bar would work. I plan to replace the tensioner assembly, but my car is currently broken down in my employer's parking lot, and I'd like to get it out of there before I swap the part. Unfortunately I'd don't have roadside assistance on my insurance and I'd like to avoid paying a $75 towing charge if I can.

Thanks.
Oh boy! You might have to use a crow bar or pry bar to move that tensioner, unless you try to use 1/2" breaker bar? Try an internet search with something like "alternative to removing a belt tensioner." Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I'd have to take the wheel off, but it turns out that the tensioner can be accessed from the top, so I got a replacement tensioner and swapped the parts out. My Impala is up and running again, so thank you everyone for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts