Impala Forums banner

HELP! High Idle&Hard shifting

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Chevyimp 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
New guy here I appreciate all the knowledge and help.

I have a 96 SS, 165k miles. No mods except for a K&n air intake.

For the pass six months or so I have been experiencing hesitation "bucking" only when going up hill. Its fine on a straight road.
After researching similar situations I figured its probably a bad fuel pump, bad fuel tank hose, or the throttle body. I had my fuel pump replaced with a new full fuel pump assembly unit. Fuel pump was not the problem for my hesitation, but did correct my fuel gauge issue.
The hose to that comes out the tank appears to be in good condition so I left it alone and moved on to the throttle body. I went with cleaning the TB while cleaning I decided to do the bypass mod, that went well, but again did not correct my hesitation problem it actually made it worst. I could hear the TB sticking now aswell. The next thing I tried was replacing the TPS- that also did not correct the problem. After that I ordered a brand new TB- while installing the new TB I cleaned the IAC valve- After the installation everything looked great, but when I started the car my idle was high, gave it some gas and the idle went even higher and stayed high- I noticed on the new TB on the driver side were the acceleration cables are that it was stuck- i manually moved it back in place and the idle lower but not all the way-Also when shifting to reverse the idle would be normal but goes back up while in Drive- I have heard and read up on new TB commonly sticking so i assumed this was the case with mine- I also replaced the two hoses on the passenger side of the TB, I believe are vacuum hoses? I used a heater hose and a spark plug boot for the lower one with the 90 curve since that was the only thing wrong with it and I got the ideas from this forum, thanks for that one the hoses went on fine.- still not a fix to my high idle though, so I just put my old TB back with new gaskets ofcourse and picked up a brand new IAC valve- After re installing my old TB with new sensors I started my car and still had a high idle, but not as high as the new one and also when I press on the gas it didnt go up like the new one did nor did it get stuck on high like the one- Since my idle wasnt crazy when pressing the gas like I experienced with the new TB , I actually took it for a drive- While driving I experienced the transmission dragging the gears and when it finally did shift it was hard. I adjusted the cable on the driver side of the TB, but got nothing maybe a slight difference on the idle but not really and also could hear the TB sticking. Basically lost now and my mechanic wont be available for a couple days.

This morning I put the new throttle body back on the car, it still idles high and seems to get stuck when pushing gas pedal I made a video showing what I'm talking about . Thanks for any help

https://youtu.be/Imy_mVg03uc

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.