Impala Forums banner

help! engine trouble in 83 chevy caprice!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  77Impala 
Also check to see that the carb bolts are tight. And that the choke is fully opening.

Another thing to check is the vacuum temp sensor switches. On my 77 I have two, both open/close at different tempatures. If these are not opening/closing at the proper temp then that will also cause the engine to chugg. If your car has the switches you will find them by the thermostat with two (or even three) vacuum lines to them. One will come from the carb and the other will go to some smog control item.

On my Impala one delays (opens the vacuum line at the proper temp) the EGR until a certain temp. And the other opens (actualy closes the vacuum line for) the right side exhaust restrictor (and closes the airsnorkel preheat - a custom mod of mine).

Your engine may have a electric temp sensor for the PCM to tell it when the engine is up to operating temp. Have it check as well. If one of them are bad the computer will give the car more fuel tring to warm up the engine that it thinks is still cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.