Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooland doesen't bleed out of coolant bleeder screw.

I wanted to check my coolant system for air to be safe but when I open the bleeder, I can see fluid go by but its not bleeding out.

My question is, why do you think it wouldn't bleed out of the screw with the heat turned on and engine running.

I have not detected leaks, how ever I think it could be due to a water pump going out?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
If you can see the coolant going by the opening but not coming out you have air in the system. Follow the bleeding procedure listed on the forum.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I heart the cooling system on these cars. Assuming your coolant is full and topped off, your heater is on when you're trying this, and you are 100% sure you do not have a leak somewhere... I also had this problem. In my case, a new radiator cap solved my issue. The old cap wasn't maintaining enough pressure to get a good bleed on the high side of the engine, and once I replaced it, it solved my problem. My upper rad hose would collapse when the engine was cold as well (another symptom). Be extremely careful with those bleeder screws, they break and strip very easily. I think you would be getting little to no pressure on the lower rad hose, overheating, and weeping coolant out of the pump if the pump itself was bad. (Yea, that happened to me as well).

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
^ Good point, a bad cap could do it.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
On several different engines that I have worked on with the bleeder valves I have used a vacuum pump to suck the air out. Make sure to run the vacuum line through a sealed jar of some sort so you don't get coolant into your vacuum pump. The one I use came with the vacuum pump kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove my impala up onto my ramps and attempted to bleed again, this time I did have flow , and temperature is running normal, and I have good heat. however, still hear a sloshing sound. from a sharp corner and acceleration. Have no idea where ac drain is to check if its clogged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts