Impala Forums banner

help choosing a system.

7K views 64 replies 8 participants last post by  blizzy21 
#1 ·
Well basically I need help choosing a system from someone who knows what they're talking about, and has experience. I am looking to get 2 12" subs and an amp. Im not cheap but I don't need a system that's worth more than the car. And if it makes a difference the car is a 94 caprice. I'm sure I left something out but any responses are appreciated. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Well, I can speak for one, since I only have a single. I love it, so I'll share. (BTW, member WallyLO has the double of mine . He has 2 of the subs and the MRP-M1000 amp)

Anyway, I have had the Alpine Type R 12 since last summer and have LOVED it. It performs flawlessly in WI weather, so it will fair greatly in Ohio as well! I have one recommendation, get an aftermarket Headunit. The bass is obnoxiously loud on the lowest level on whole albums in my car. Just a heads up. I have it hooked to an Alpine MRP-M500 amp. To be honest, you only NEED one of these to get a ton of bass.

#3 ·
You first realistically need to set a limit on what you want to spend. Also like Don said, decide if you want to get a HU cause that will blow your budget out of the water.

After that, think about how loud you want it to be. Do you want it loud for YOU, or for the car next to you?

#4 ·
^Yes. If the cost of the HU doesn't kill you, all the damn bypasses and shit will kill you. IE you will need another couple hundred $ in accessories to make it work right. If you are adding new speakers, double that accessories number. Ask me, I know. I'm doing it now. My $1300 audio updgrade is going to be closer $1500-$2000 and I already spent like $600 on the sub setup.

#5 ·
The guy I bought the car from left pioneer HU in it. Its already wired up for a sub and amp. I'm pretty sure its 0 gauge wire. Literally all I need is the sub and amp. It has aftermarket alpine speakers. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be getting an Orion 12" hcca. I am willing to spend $1500. And I want i want to set off alarms :) hahah

#8 ·
#10 ·
how can i put vids on here? i have a sick video of me setting off a trucks alarm with my one type r on my 7th gen stock hu. good set up. for your amp if that sub is really 2000w rms you'll be lookin at a pretty costly amp. i always reccomend alpine. rockford used to make good amps, JL did as well. but expensive. im too lazy to look it up for you, but thats where i would start.
EDIT: not sure where your mobile audio knowledge is at, but since the sub is dual 2 ohm, i would try to get an amp that is 1 ohm stable unless you plan to run it at 4 ohms.

#13 ·
I am a kicker guy, and will most likely stick with kicker until I have a major issue with it. I love all my products by them have no complaints at all. I just have the ZX750 but it actually rated for 921 rms watts. They underrate all of their products. If you have a decent sub budget look into one of the sqaure L7s Ive heard some amazing feed back on them and I have a buddy who wins competitions locally with 2 of them.

But Ive also heard great things about alpine, and a few other brands. Ive been considering getting 2 type Rs but havnt decided yet.

#17 ·
I say rockford fosgate is the best. Alpine subs are trash. Good dekcs & amps though. I have 2 t1 subs running off a rockford power t1000 sub & its pretty loud. I have the big 3 upgrade(all stock wiring replaced) & on my way to replacing my alternator. But I say its all on your budget.

#20 ·
Its 500rms(continous power) for one sub. my old p3s were that much. & I get the most power to my subs. Running 0 guage. I had alpine subs whe.n I first got subs in my car & they lasted a month in a hald-__-. & ever since I had rockfords no issues. But hey I'm selling my dads old set up for 650 dude. 2 rockford pq 10s. 2 alpine amp 1 500mono(subs) 1 3004channel(door speakers) rockford 1farred capacitor. & an alpine deck. Well show pics if interested.

#23 ·
^More people would make it more popular, that doesn't have anything to do with overrated. They're overrated because people praise them so highly. If I have a 15 powered by a 200w amp.......well, that's not really going to be useful. You can get more than enough bass from 12" and have more trunk space and a bigger box if you wanted.

#24 ·
You can get more than enough bass from a 12 if thats your taste, 12s can only go so loud. You gotta spend more on a 12 that will rattle your eye balls together than a 15 that would do the same. I really dont need trunk space. Impalas have huge trunks as it is. The only time I need space is when I camping and I can throw everything I need in the back seat.

#27 ·
Yeah an expensive 8 will beat say a comp 15 yeah but its only 100 bucks for a c15. Im just saying that you can spend less money on a 15 for the loudness of a more expensive 12 inch sub.

I saw a car with 2 10 inch Solo Xs and it was literally the loudest car Ive hear thus far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.