Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to get 20” rims. On low profiles I still will need to figure out suspension. Now I know the pump jack on top of strut to push up the plate, BUT I’d rather it be clean & personally still think that it could scrape easily with 4 people in the car. I’ve been lookin at coil overs specifically rev9 gen 2 coil overs. Now I’ve never in my life used coil overs but I do hate the ride on them. I like a smooth ride that’s why im getting 20” wheels. I feel like there might be a specific type of struts good for 20” wheels, thinking like what do people with 22” and 24s ride on. Not looking to cut anything. Need help looking for Clean look clean ride clean Fitment all for less than bc coil overs or air suspension. Anyone know anything please please lmk..

·
Registered
2004 Impala LS 3.8L (~130k miles)
252 Posts
If 4 people in the car doesn't scrape now, then 4 people in the car won't scrape with 20" rims PROVIDED the mounted tire has the same diameter then as now. As the rim diameter increases the tire sidewall section height increases by the same amount to maintain the overall mounted wheel/tire diameter. I would shop for tires and rims together to make sure you can find (and afford) proper tires for the rims you want to install.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If 4 people in the car doesn't scrape now, then 4 people in the car won't scrape with 20" rims PROVIDED the mounted tire has the same diameter then as now. As the rim diameter increases the tire sidewall section height increases by the same amount to maintain the overall mounted wheel/tire diameter. I would shop for tires and rims together to make sure you can find (and afford) proper tires for the rims you want to install.....
Yeah of course lol, thanks. But yeah man I’m thinking 20s would look best clean and good fitment. Thing is that I’ve seen everyone with 20s have to push whatever that bracket is on the bottom of the strut upward so it doesn’t scrape. If seen video where people do that and still it scrapes bad on bumps or with 4 people in the car. Thing is with coil overs they don’t have that bracket in the way so therefor there shouldn’t be scrape right? 20s will clean turning on my car without cutting. Anything over won’t.

·
Registered
2004 Impala LS 3.8L (~130k miles)
252 Posts
Sorry, but I must be misunderstanding. Maybe the the 20s are also much wider leading to scrapes while turning??
I had issues with a K5 Blazer scraping, but that was due to excessive tire size.

Agree that 20s would look fantastic....mine has 16s and would like to upgrade at some point.
Maybe a picture or drawing would help me understand how it's scraping....

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you measure your current wheels and stay w in 3% of that height, there shouldn’t be much of a problem there. The problem is that in order to do this the tire has to be maybe a 30 aspect ratio. The aspect ratio is the sidewall height. On 30s the ride will be much worse than on 18s having an aspect ratio of 50.
I can’t tell much difference in ride between my 18s w 235/50 than the winter 17s at 225/55.
Coil overs are nice but pay the $ bc crappy ones ride crappy. Ive heard of ppl bending that spring plate up w a hammer or tool to gain the extra inch in some cases.
Bumps shouldn’t affect the rub bc there’s no flex between hub and spring plate.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oh and if you’re looking for the teensy bit taller struts the oe or aftermarket ltz ones fit 18s. I’ve heard mixed reviews on monroe and those adjustable agx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m looking to get 20” rims. On low profiles I still will need to figure out suspension. Now I know the pump jack on top of strut to push up the plate, BUT I’d rather it be clean & personally still think that it could scrape easily with 4 people in the car. I’ve been lookin at coil overs specifically rev9 gen 2 coil overs. Now I’ve never in my life used coil overs but I do hate the ride on them. I like a smooth ride that’s why im getting 20” wheels. I feel like there might be a specific type of struts good for 20” wheels, thinking like what do people with 22” and 24s ride on. Not looking to cut anything. Need help looking for Clean look clean ride clean Fitment all for less than bc coil overs or air suspension. Anyone know anything please please lmk..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for basically same answer to question, I have 09 Impala LS tried the 245 40s 20" just to see and they do fit, but I do gotta agree they are pretty tight for the back there finger between tire an plate sometimes over certain bumps or turn that certain corner a little vibration. Did you change struts or just go with the smaller tire it calls for I just can't do 16s?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts