Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Alfredo, and yesterday I purchased a 2004 Impala LS. But wait, there's more to the story!

This particular Impala is in kind-of-poor condition, and I exchanged my 2005 Hyundai Accent (my little tank which was very reliable for 12 years since I bought it) on the Impala buck for buck. My Accent was in better condition and I loved that little bugger.

The Impala has many electrical issues (many cables are just running wild, have to check each), no a/c (compressor not turning on), power steering is busted (might be pump?), coolant reservoir is broken (was patched but it gave), and the windshield washer reservoir is missing it's cap. Also the previous owner bypassed the heater core, no coolant is going in there.

So why did I buy a car in such conditions? Well, I'm getting married soon, I need a bigger car, and I don't really like SUVs for daily driving (on note, I also own an 87 Blazer but it's more of a workhorse). Plus, adding value, if I fixed the Accent I wouldn't gain enough, while fixing the Impala I stand to gain maybe a couple grand.

Anyway, I'll try to use this forum to document BUFFy's rehab; showing before/after and perhaps explaining some DIY. I'll also try to hack the original head unit to add bluetooth/usb/aux capabilities without being too invasive on the original.

On yeah, and I'll try to manage all of this on a country deeply in crisis and with hard-to-find spare parts (despite the fact that the Impala was indeed made here) VIN starts with 8Z1, look it up.

This intro was too long. It's been a while since I've been on a forum. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Welcome to the Impala Forum!
Got any pics?
Post away with your problems in the 7th gen section and we will see what we can do to help you out :)

·
Super Moderator
18,404 Posts
Welcome! :beer:

We thrive on pics....git us some!:nerd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, an 00-05 LS without a spoiler?! Rare!

At least down here, not at all; all 8Z1s were made without rear spoilers, those were sold separately. I have a list of particularities for the 8Z1s:

1- The 3800 engine core for 2004 is still Series II (not III), modified for hot climates; uses 15w40 instead of 5w30.
2- Rear spoiler sold separately. Not as an option; but as "aftermarket".
3- No heated seats. Ever.
4- Thicker rubber sealing all around.
5- Engine elbows and intake manifold piping are all aluminum. Manifold is still plastic, we never got the supercharged version (except only for the 05 SS), nor the aluminum intake manifold.
6- No thermostat. There's the housing, but it's open flow all the time. Why? because the coolant will get hot anyway due to the gearbox oil cooler, thus the engine temperature will be controlled mostly by the fans, and the radiator sucking/venting into the reservoir. The result is that the car will be on operating temperature range all the time.
DISCLAIMER: Do not do this to your engine if you have summer/winter cycles. This is only done because we have >80º for most of the year.

7- Green coolant from factory. No dex-cool.
8- No models made with iron rims + covers. Only aluminum 15".
9- Wider catalytic converter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
At least down here, not at all; all 8Z1s were made without rear spoilers, those were sold separately. I have a list of particularities for the 8Z1s:

1- The 3800 engine core for 2004 is still Series II (not III), modified for hot climates; uses 15w40 instead of 5w30.
2- Rear spoiler sold separately. Not as an option; but as "aftermarket".
3- No heated seats. Ever.
4- Thicker rubber sealing all around.
5- Engine elbows and intake manifold piping are all aluminum. Manifold is still plastic, we never got the supercharged version (except only for the 05 SS), nor the aluminum intake manifold.
6- No thermostat. There's the housing, but it's open flow all the time. Why? because the coolant will get hot anyway due to the gearbox oil cooler, thus the engine temperature will be controlled mostly by the fans, and the radiator sucking/venting into the reservoir. The result is that the car will be on operating temperature range all the time.
DISCLAIMER: Do not do this to your engine if you have summer/winter cycles. This is only done because we have >80º for most of the year.

7- Green coolant from factory. No dex-cool.
8- No models made with iron rims + covers. Only aluminum 15".
9- Wider catalytic converter.
Interesting. Here in New England, I can't ever recall seeing one without the spoiler.

Around here, there was a 'special' base model from that generation (I think 00-03); it had:

*the 3800 Series II
*upgraded cloth seats
*unique steel rims
*(usually) a moonroof

I've always wanted one of these.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Interesting. Here in New England, I can't ever recall seeing one without the spoiler.

Around here, there was a 'special' base model from that generation (I think 00-03); it had:

*the 3800 Series II
*upgraded cloth seats
*unique steel rims
*(usually) a moonroof

I've always wanted one of these.
Caracas Venezuela is a long long long way from The New England states.

I've spent time in São Paulo. Caracas is much closer to the equator.

Welcome to the Impala boards Alfredo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL cool, no problem, it's a hole with all year round heat.

Updates on today:
1- Handbrake isn't working, but at least wires are fine so we'll take the wheels off tomorrow and check on the pads.
2- Steering pump confirmed leaking. Gonna rebuild it soon. She's got pressure as long as she has oil on it, but it's messing up the engine bay.
3- A/C Compressor not turning on, but at least there's full gas on the system, gotta have the car checked by an electrician. Annoying.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Um, I didn't know where he was from?? There's one on every forum...
He listed the general area he's from in his profile.
Location shows up in the ID block of each post under the ID.

Sometimes it helps to know the general area someone is from. You'll note my location is a 36mile long river basin not a town or city.
Members that are semi-local to you can give options on places to get parts etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts