Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. My name is Phillip, but I go by Neo in all of my online interactions. I just bought a white 2008 Chevy Impala SS. I also own a 2003 Chevy Impala. My new SS came fully loaded and the only mod on it so far is the K&N CAI. I'm interested to hear any suggestions you all may have for future upgrades and other such improvements. I have been toying with the idea of getting at the very least a tuner. You know, one of those devices that plugs into the computer and changes the performance characteristics of the vehicle. I love the performance of the engine, but if I could find something that could enable me too eek out a little extra power when needed or conversely improve my fuel economy the rest of the time, I'd be very interested. I have also given some thought to the idea of changing out the exhaust, but if the horsepower gain isn't worth the added cost and hassle, I might be persuaded against it. I came here because I figured if there was anyone that could offer insight, it'd be an online forum about the Impala. Anyway, it's nice to meet all of you and I look forward to future interactions with you and hope that I may be able to offer some of you insight from time to time as I expect you will me.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Welcome, need pics of both cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live and work in Houston during the week and my cars stay at my house in Austin, so I won't be able to take any pics right now. Maybe if I remember this weekend, I will take some pics and post them here. They're pretty basic though. Nothing really custom about either of them, at least not much that is outwardly visible. Also, has anyone had a problem with their SS emblem discoloring? One of mine looks like it somehow took on water or something. I just ordered an OEM replacement, but I'm wondering if this is a common problem.

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
Welcome Neo! :beer: I know you'll find most all of your answers here! And then some..... The thing is, we DO HAVE to have pics. It is a MUST. Try not to forget, or LT wlill tyr to mcedicated me agian....:giggle::lol:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Most of us go with an Overkill tune, which is just a reprogram of the computer itself, no external tuner, nothing to adjust. Exhaust can gain you a little extra power, but only if you do headers and a downpipe, mufflers are just noise.

Welcome!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome. No worries, I will bathe and take some pics of the SS this weekend.

@kingnutin: What may I ask is an Overkill tune, how does it work, and how is it preferable to an external tuner? Will it tune strictly for a boost in HP or does it also improve fuel economy?

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
There is a little button at the top that says "SEARCH"
Push it, and enter what you're interested in, ie: "Overkill"

Tons of info already posted on this subject.
And welcome!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
To summarize, it's a mail order tune. You give him your vin, he programs a computer for you and ships it to you, you swap it and send your old one back, or keep it and forfeit the core charge. He readjusts shift points, spark advance, fuel mapping, and a bunch of other stuff. It is pretty affordable compared to a lot of alternatives at $175. It gives more power, and better mileage if you can keep your foot out of it! The main advantage is that he knows these cars, and does a very good tune. You can always get a tuner and software to do it yourself, but unless you have a few other cars you will be tuning, it is not nearly as cost effective. Plus, you have to know what you're doing, which few of us really do with tuning.

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome. No worries, I will bathe and take some pics of the SS this weekend.

Why, are you dirty? Just take pics of the car....:giggle::lol:

j/k, j/k!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To summarize, it's a mail order tune. You give him your vin, he programs a computer for you and ships it to you, you swap it and send your old one back, or keep it and forfeit the core charge. He readjusts shift points, spark advance, fuel mapping, and a bunch of other stuff. It is pretty affordable compared to a lot of alternatives at $175. It gives more power, and better mileage if you can keep your foot out of it! The main advantage is that he knows these cars, and does a very good tune. You can always get a tuner and software to do it yourself, but unless you have a few other cars you will be tuning, it is not nearly as cost effective. Plus, you have to know what you're doing, which few of us really do with tuning.
Sounds pretty good. I have been looking this up and have been getting mostly positive feedback about it. I think that this is the road that I will end up going down. I appreciate the info. I could get all of this info from anywhere. I come here for the opinions of those that would know best. The one thing that I can't seem to find is real numbers. Has anyone that has done this tune done a before and after dyno test?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If anyone has actually done a dyno test with the overkill tune, it would likely have been with other mods as well. I doubt there is much of an actual HP gain, most of what you feel will be from removal of torque management, and transmission adjustments. I can tell you personally however, that I have gotten a 3400 and a 3500 tune from him, and I was very pleased with both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts