Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

My name is Kevin Mengus, I own at the moment a 2010 Impala LS and my Fiance has a 2014 Jeep Patriot. I love both cars and have been enjoying working on them just small stuff though oil changes, filters, and bulb replacement simple stuff like that.

A little about myself I grew up in NYC and my dad works for Standard Automative in Queens NY. My dad loves cars and taught me a lot about them but we never really had an opportunity to work on them. Fast forward to college I moved to phoenix, why you ask? I wanted a car plain and simple I know silly but most of my friends in New York still don't have driver licenses. So my first car wasn't anything special a Kia Spectra and that thing took me all over the state very reliable until someone ran a red light and hit my front end totaling the car. then I was in the market again and this impala kind fell into my lap.

So fast forward to today why am I here? I'm hoping to find and meet new people that I can learn from and become friends with. For example, my car seems to have a tiny power steering fluid leak that has caused my cv axel boot to tear I have studied how to replace it but it would be silly to do so with the cause not repaired. I have thought about taking it to a shop but I really want to start doing more repairs myself but feel I lack experience. so I'm hoping to find some like-minded individuals willing to teach/guide me through some car repair.

So why help this guy right? Well, this year one of my goals is to try and reach out to people more and try and make new lasting relationships with people it's something have struggled with my whole life. Even though I don't haven't done a lot of work on cars I definitely have a good understanding of how cars work thanks to my dad, unfortunately, he has been ill for the past few years and is stuck in new york because of doctors and experimental treatment test. Even with his slow recovery so far I fear he won't be able to really work on cars the way he use to when he was my age.

Things I can offer
- I'm a Photographer with a BA in the subject.
- I can teach you how to take better photos and edit them.
- I can take photos of your car or family or homes.
- I've been thinking about starting a Youtube Channel about Cars.
- I can provide pizza and cold drinks!!
- I like to make people laugh.

So if you interested let me know =)

Let's Make 2017 Awsome!

* Photo Taken with a Smart Phone Not Professional at all*

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Welcome to the forum :beer:

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The power steering leak may be the pressed/crimped on cheapo aluminum ends of the hoses. The lines can be either replaced (expensive) or carefully cut these crimped on things off and use some mini hose clamps in their place.
As for the CV boot.
The CV joint is shot. As soon as the grease comes out they are pretty much hooped. Just get a re-man half-shaft and swap it out. Its pretty easy to do and more cost effective than buying a boot kit that are quite frankly a huge PITA to use, and are not that good in any case. You can do it without having to get an alignment if you leave the knuckle attached to the strut separate it at the lower ball joint and tie rod end and taking it all out at once......it is heavy but not too bad. Need a helper to put a nut on the top of the strut when you put it back in....unless you have arms like an orangutan.

Good luck and best thoughts and wishes to your dad. Hope he responds to the treatments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum
Thank you

Good luck and best thoughts and wishes to your dad. Hope he responds to the treatments.
Thank you very much, he has been doing much better as of late. Lucky us he is the only one in the study it has worked for so doctor are very interested in him. We keep telling the doctors it's my mother she runs I tight ship with diet and medication.

Thank you for all the advice by the way.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Welcome! Best wishes to you and your father.

I highly recommend getting a manual, like Haynes, if you haven't gotten one already. I have one, and I love it. They're pretty cheap too. Has really helped me work on my car(s). Other than that, feel free to ask whatever questions you have here, the forum members have always been super helpful and nice.

I agree with retiredpauly about the crimp, they're really poor quality. Firstly I'd look to see where the leak is coming from, whether it is from a hose or whatnot.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, nice cars. Random weird question, what tires do you have on your Impala?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I love the fact that you moved to get a car, I couldn't imagine not having my licence.

I cut what you could only describe as light, super casual drinking for what was really an extremely short period of time from my life completely. Strictly because I hate being unable to drive my car. The emoticons are drinking ginger ail in my signature I swear!!!

I love taking photography but I've done almost no courses related to it, What camera do you use?

Really nice pics by the way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome! Best wishes to you and your father.

I highly recommend getting a manual, like Haynes, if you haven't gotten one already. I have one, and I love it. They're pretty cheap too. Has really helped me work on my car(s). Other than that, feel free to ask whatever questions you have here, the forum members have always been super helpful and nice.

I agree with retiredpauly about the crimp, they're really poor quality. Firstly I'd look to see where the leak is coming from, whether it is from a hose or whatnot.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, nice cars. Random weird question, what tires do you have on your Impala?
Great idea with a manual I'll look into ordering one.

Thank you, I like them both very much. and I forgot what tires where in the picture those came with the car but now she has some Pirelli CINTURATO P7 shoes

Welcome! :beer: Nice veehicles!! Moar PICS!!:nerd
Added a pic i took yesterday

Welcome to the forum! I love the fact that you moved to get a car, I couldn't imagine not having my licence.

I cut what you could only describe as light, super casual drinking for what was really an extremely short period of time from my life completely. Strictly because I hate being unable to drive my car. The emoticons are drinking ginger ail in my signature I swear!!!

I love taking photography but I've done almost no courses related to it, What camera do you use?

Really nice pics by the way!
thanks, those were just cellphone photos edited with and an app called snapseed. Great app check it out.

Professionally I use Canon Gear and I rent more expensive stuff when needed if you ever have any question on cameras or editing let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
:welcome: to the Impala Forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.