Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first car and love was a 1987 Caprice that was in pretty rough shape, other than it ran well for being 15 years old. I worked hard on it and made it into my own police package vehicle for emergency response as a volunteer firefighter.
A few years later about when I got married, found an '83 that was in terrific shape interior and exterior wise, but the engine was dead. Bought it for $300 and put the engine (5.0L 305) from my '87 in it, making a darn nice car. Took this car on our honeymoon and brought our first baby home from the hospital in it.
A few more years later with my wife and I both now working or going to school out of town and another baby on the way, we needed a more fuel efficient ride with good snow traction (not the four-barrel RWD!). I got into an SUV and we bought her a 2001 9C1 former Tennessee State Police Impala.
The 9C1 was a really good car until about two years after we bought it a deer decided to make the insurance company buy it from us. The car held up really well; the wife was going 70 on the freeway and all she had was a little glass in her face from the door and windshield.
We bought an '03 to replace the '01. This really is a nice car. We both love it (almost as much as I like my TrailBlazer).
If anyone can lead me to a cold air intake mod, that's something I'd really like to do to this car. One of Chevy's few problem areas is air induction, they like to suffocate our motors for some reason.
Anthony Skube-Firefighter, Husband, Dad

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
welcome and i know someone will chime in about ur needs..... i just drive a rwd :biggrin::wink:

·
Banned
117 Posts
Welcome fellow 9C1 owener!

Look at my sig for some mod ideas.

If i had it to do over again i may have went with a 160* thermostat vs the 180 i installed.The 180* seems to make very little difference.Also if i have went with the 160* my tuner may have been able to bump up my timing even more,oh well,live and learn i guess.

·
Banned
117 Posts
OK just looked @ your other thread.I see your '03 is an LS not a 9C1,sorry bout that.Atleast you DID have a 9C1 lol :biggrin:

The main things i like about the 9C1 Impala vs the LS is the better brakes and 3.29 gears.Oh and the fact that both my front tires spin,not just one.This really helps in the deep snow and slush.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts