Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi from South Chicago

Hello fellow B-Body lovers! I just happened across this site, and it looked like fun. I am currently restoring & repowering my first car, a 1977 Impala Sedan. Check out my blog documenting my progress at www.blogspot.impalaresurrection.com :cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Stewart!

I currently have an entire Roadmaster drivetrain & chassis underneath my '77 (LT-1, 4L60-E), so perhaps you might be of help as well!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whats going on fellow bowtie buddy,

I just recently purchased a 1977 caprice 2 door. And needles to say i'm catching hell finding any place that has parts for it locally or on the web. Can you assist? I need door hinges and seat upholstery. It came with power windows power seats and locks. Also the super slugish 170hp 350 which I could also use some advice on. Any way without swamping you i'd appreciate a reply

Ron

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey RonSolo!

Good luck trying to find parts, as the 77-79 cars are very hard to find parts for. I had a sideswipe on my passenger side, and replaced the fender, and doors. I had to go from IL to texas to find a rear door! At least it was rust free. As for the seats, any B-body from 1977-1996 should bolt right up. (unless you have the bench seat like mine, then you will have to do some minor mods to fit a split bench or bucket seats) I would suggest getting everything you can from the junkyard if possible. There are tons of mid 90's B-bodies out there. E-bay is also a valuable resource for parts. I know they sell door hinge pins there for pretty cheap. That usually cures the sag you get from those huge doors on your coupe! Also that 350 you have has alot of potential, just by tossing on a new intake, and some headers. Old school 350s are getting more and more scarce these days, so if you decide to repower, hold on to that sucker! Good luck with your plans, and make sure to show us pics of your progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Bro,

I think i'll be shopping in the junkyards around here for the interior.
Currently I have the 50/50 bench with a power drivers seat vinyl covers.
The sun and a rough previous owner has had their way with them.
I'm gonna take your advice and try swapping out the intake next week
i'll let you know how that goes. One more question how do you remove the hinge pins in the door? any tricks of the trade? They've got them cheap at the parts store.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Impa1a, hello and welcome to the community.

Another good source for parts is www.car-part.com it is like the yellow page directory of auto salvages that have the parts your are looking for. Back in December I bought a Rear Quarter Extension for my Impala.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bro,

I think i'll be shopping in the junkyards around here for the interior.
Currently I have the 50/50 bench with a power drivers seat vinyl covers.
The sun and a rough previous owner has had their way with them.
I'm gonna take your advice and try swapping out the intake next week
i'll let you know how that goes. One more question how do you remove the hinge pins in the door? any tricks of the trade? They've got them cheap at the parts store.

Ron,
I have never removed the pins from the door. I do have one that has a little sag in it though. My trick is to loosen the bolts from the hinge to the car, and put a jack, carefully at the far end of the door. I slightly jack the door up higher than where it closes tightly. Then tighten the bolts to the hinge, and see if it works. You can also adjust the striker with a star wrench attachment. With some patience, you may be able to solve your problem. It also helps if you have someone help you!

If your pins aren't too worn, you can get away with this. Otherwise, you will have to take the front fender off, and remove the door, and put in new pins in the hinges. I would recommend using a press to get them in/out. It looks harder than it is. Last night i removed both passenger doors, and the fender, and paint prepped everything on the inside. You also have to take the hood off. Be careful taking the fender off, because there are bolts everywhere! There are 22 at least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1977 aerocoupe

Hello fellas,

Here's an update. Still no luck on locating interior for my lady. I did happen to find a 400ci block had it punched out .60 yeah I know thats maxed out but it had a scratch in the cylinder wall. I'm running a .480 lift cam and 58cc 2.02 1.60 heads. Trying to up the compression and pull out about 350hp at the wheels. Got a set of 3" 40 series flowmasters but I can't find a shop that fits my budget to have them installed at. They want $350 here with the mufflers.
I'll let you know when I've dropped it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts