Impala Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just thinking about chroming my stock wheels. These are the only 2 cars I've seen with them. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Did you check to see if they have chrome skins available for your wheels? I know that some 9th gen owners have installed chrome skins and they look really good - for a tiny fraction of the cost of real chromed wheels...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I'd rather just have the wheels chromed as I plan to keep the car for a loooong time. Found some more pictures

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The chrome wheels are nice.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
To me, keeping the car a long time is even more reason to use chrome skins over getting them chromed. Chrome doesn't last long if you live where they use road salt, etc. Plus, if you happen to damage the chrome (curb rash, pothole, etc), you're going to have to pay a forture to get it fixed. WIth the chrome wheel skins, you can make the wheels look brand new again for about $80 (cost of 4 brand new wheel skins). :) It's the same exact chrome finish (they literally use the same process), but without all of the drawbacks of chrome wheels (it's like removable chrome)!

As I'm sure you've seen, I have chrome wheels skins on the Charger wheels on my 2012 and they look just like real chrome wheels. I absolutely love those things! :) Everyone thinks they are real chrome wheels. But I do think the skins work better for wheels with thick spokes compared to wheels with thin details.

But like I said, regardless of whether you use skins or actually use chrome wheels, I think they would look fantastic. Definitely do it! :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Got a really good deal on a set of winter wheels, they're 2010 Camaro steel 18's. I'll put some Blizzaks on them, I used those on all my W bodys and loved them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I couldn't handle it any more I removed the ugly front plate and bracket. Eventually I will take the bumper off fill the holes and have it painted, I just used touch up paint inside of the holes where it was black with no paint to make them blend in a little more but for now its better!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Got my wheels yesterday, I think they'll look pretty good for winter wheels. They look so little next to the 20's lol

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
We bought our car in North Carolina where front plates are not required. We drove it back to Virginia where we live and we still never put a front plate on it. I bought the bracket from Rock Auto and intended to install it but my wife doesn't want it on there, she said it was ugly and I agree but still...

Luckily I've never lived anywhere that I had to change out wheels for the winter, those winter wheels are ugly haha.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I refuse to have to have separate "winter" and "summer" wheels, which is one of the reasons why I'm such a fan of the chrome wheel skins - can run the same wheels all year long and not worry about it. :)

Regarding the front license plate, I'm lucky in that PA does not require one - but I do feel like GM should have at least made a provision for them in the bumper - instead of just drilling holes in the bumper and using an "adapter" like they do. I feel that a front plate woulnd't look bad if they designed the bumper to accomodate one properly. The 8th gens are the same way - the front bumper is not designed for a front plate in any way and they look terrible if you have to put one on.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I refuse to have to have separate "winter" and "summer" wheels, which is one of the reasons why I'm such a fan of the chrome wheel skins - can run the same wheels all year long and not worry about it. :)

Regarding the front license plate, I'm lucky in that PA does not require one - but I do feel like GM should have at least made a provision for them in the bumper - instead of just drilling holes in the bumper and using an "adapter" like they do. I feel that a front plate woulnd't look bad if they designed the bumper to accomodate one properly. The 8th gens are the same way - the front bumper is not designed for a front plate in any way and they look terrible if you have to put one on.
I like having a set of winter wheels (a cheap set like these) because I use winter tires like Blizzaks so I don't have to keep swapping tires on and off wheels stretching them out and risking scratching the wheels. I'd be curious to know how many states require a front plate, if its not many maybe GM says too bad for you guys otherwise yes they should have a better solution to integrate it

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I like having a set of winter wheels (a cheap set like these) because I use winter tires like Blizzaks so I don't have to keep swapping tires on and off wheels stretching them out and risking scratching the wheels. I'd be curious to know how many states require a front plate, if its not many maybe GM says too bad for you guys otherwise yes they should have a better solution to integrate it
Yeah, it that case, I agree that it makes complete sense to have separate wheels. Even though I live in PA, I just don't use winter tires, which is why I use the same wheels year-round (because I use the same tires year-round).

Good question about the license plates - I *believe* that most states require a front plate, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I found this with a quick google search

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I found this with a quick google search

Interesting, I always thought less required it rather than the other way around.

I scored a super nice set of Hankook winter tires off of Craiglist. I always look mid summer people let them go cheap because I'm uselly the only one calling :lol:

And got them mounted

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I installed a hide away plate on this one like my SS.

I had to do it off center due to the crease in the bumper

But it'll be down most of the time :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I got my LED's and resistors in yesterday, I made a quick how to.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I tried switchbacks in mine but was concerned the white during normal operation would blind incoming drivers. That section of the headlight aims pretty high and is not adjustable.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The regular halogens look just as good to me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
They just feel antiquated to me. GM should have made all the lights LED in these cars (at least LTZ's like Silverados)

61 - 80 of 83 Posts