Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I only had mine painted cause I hit a deer and the dealer said they’d paint them free lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I used vinyl on my 2016 Silverado. I do think paint would be alittle better but this pearl is expensive to mix and I wouldn't trust a quality match out of a can. If you use a heat gun it will lay in those ridges pretty good just takes time.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm debating on getting rid of the rear bowtie. What do you guys think? I'm really leaning towards it.:dunno:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think it looks better being painted the color the car is IMO

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Personally, I think I'd leave the bowtie and paint, dip or vinyl it black or white (anything is better than the ugly gold!). I took everything off of the back of my 2012 *except* for the bowtie - I just think it looks better with it...

This is what the rear end of my 2012 looks like without the flux-fuel and "Impala LT" badge (with tinted tails though):

I think removing the entire bowtie takes away a little too much. Just my opinion, of course...

Sent from my TbooK 16 Pro(E5C8) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yea you guys are right...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The gold bowtie actually looks ok with the white diamond paint I think. Do not remove the bowtie, looks way too plain in back without it and please don't cheapen the look with plasti dip.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Honestly, dip is perfectly fine for things like emblems. I used dip on both my front and rear bowties (front=white, rear=black, along with glossifier) and nobody would ever know the difference unless I told them - it looks great (look at the rear bowtie in the picture above). If it looked cheap at all, believe me, I would have it re-done another way. I prefer dip because it's very easy to work with and if it ever needs redone (due to damage to the finish from rocks, etc) - or even if I decided that I wanted to change the color, I can re-do it myself quickly, easily and inexpensively. Plus it's completely reversible if I ever decided to trade the car in or something. The dip is also very durable - it has already lasted for years without issue on my emblems.
@impaler - it's obvious that you have never actually used dip before - and that you think it looks "cheap" without ever even trying it. Have you ever even seen a dipped emblem first-hand in person? I would definitely not use dip for my entire car or even my wheels, but for emblems and small stuff like that, it's perfect.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The gold bowtie actually looks ok with the white diamond paint I think. Do not remove the bowtie, looks way too plain in back without it and please don't cheapen the look with plasti dip.
IMO I cannot stand the gold lol But i do agree it looks too plain without the bowtie.

I finally got my pearl white vinyl for them in the mail last night

·
Registered
293 Posts
IMO I cannot stand the gold lol But i do agree it looks too plain without the bowtie.

I finally got my pearl white vinyl for them in the mail last night

I may suggest having a heat gun handy, or even a blow dryer. Warming the vinyl up and the emblem up will make it easier to work with.

Don’t forget to wash the emblem, use a spray bottle of water/rubbing alcohol make sure it’s 100% dry then go for it.

Pics when done please!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Honestly, dip is perfectly fine for things like emblems. I used dip on both my front and rear bowties (front=white, rear=black, along with glossifier) and nobody would ever know the difference unless I told them - it looks great (look at the rear bowtie in the picture above). If it looked cheap at all, believe me, I would have it re-done another way. I prefer dip because it's very easy to work with and if it ever needs redone (due to damage to the finish from rocks, etc) - or even if I decided that I wanted to change the color, I can re-do it myself quickly, easily and inexpensively. Plus it's completely reversible if I ever decided to trade the car in or something. The dip is also very durable - it has already lasted for years without issue on my emblems.
@impaler - it's obvious that you have never actually used dip before - and that you think it looks "cheap" without ever even trying it. Have you ever even seen a dipped emblem first-hand in person? I would definitely not use dip for my entire car or even my wheels, but for emblems and small stuff like that, it's perfect.

We'll have to disagree with each other. I don't like the looks of plasti dip. Yes I have seen plasti dipped emblems in person before and they look cheap.
I just don't think he should cheapen the look of his nice car with it is all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We'll have to disagree with each other. I don't like the looks of plasti dip. Yes I have seen plasti dipped emblems in person before and they look cheap.
I just don't think he should cheapen the look of his nice car with it is all.

Plastidip with clear coat over it should look good tho

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Plastidip *does* look good on emblems - even without "real" clearcoat (I just use the plastidip "glossifier" to give it some gloss). It's obvious that @impaler doesn't like it for whatever reason, but I can assure you that it doesn't look "cheap" at all when done properly. Like I said, if it looked cheap in any way, it would be off of my car. It actually looks really nice and nobody would ever know it's just plastidip unless I told them. And I'm really not even a plastidip fan - I didn't like it on my grilles (durability issues) and would never even use it for wheels - but for emblems, it works really well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Plastidip *does* look good on emblems - even without "real" clearcoat (I just use the plastidip "glossifier" to give it some gloss). It's obvious that @impaler doesn't like it for whatever reason, but I can assure you that it doesn't look "cheap" at all when done properly. Like I said, if it looked cheap in any way, it would be off of my car. It actually looks really nice and nobody would ever know it's just plastidip unless I told them. And I'm really not even a plastidip fan - I didn't like it on my grilles (durability issues) and would never even use it for wheels - but for emblems, it works really well.

Agree,
It’s like anything I guess, u can take the best products, but if done incorrectly it’ll come out crappy.

My friend spent thousands of dollars on a sound system, and he ‘jerry’ rigged it terrible on install. Turned his gains up fully and sounded like garbage. I spent 3 days ripping all that out and redoing it. And when it was done, and tuned correctly, was one of the best sounding systems ive ever heard.

Moral here is make sure it’s done with the highest quality in mind, if you’ve never done (whatever project u have in front of you) yourself, pay someone who has tons of experience doing whatever it is you’re doing or learn from a good source what to do. The outcome will be so much better.

Do it right the first time, it’s a pretty good rule to live by

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree, do it properly and keep quality in mind. That's why I don't like plasti dip, it looks cheap, not quality.

Looking forward to seeing the vinyl on your bowties.

·
Registered
293 Posts
IMG_8078.JPG

Here’s a plasti dipped car. Looks good to me

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Completely agree! I could use the highest quality paint or vinyl available on my emblems and it could look horrible if I don't apply it properly (or end up getting paint overspray on other parts of my vehicle!). Obviously, dip is VERY forgiving for stuff like that. Just like anything else, they each have their pros and cons. But I definitely wouldn't say that I cheapened the look of my car because I used plastidip on my bowtie emblems. :)

To each their own. I just wanted to give my opinion on dip so that people don't automatically think it will look bad based on the post above.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Got my bowties wrapped yesterday, came out great!

When I did them on my Silverado I used a hair dryer that worked pretty well. But on these I used a heat gun and that made a huge difference defiantly worth getting one to do these.

I also got my 194 floor LED's and a large led panel for the trunk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey, SOMEONE STOLE YOUR SUBWOOFERS!! File a report....

Lol

21 - 40 of 83 Posts