Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2006 Impala with the 3.5V6. I am having a common issue with the heater blowing cold ait at an idle and then hot air when the car is moving. Coolant is full and I am almost positive that there is no air pockets. So I reversed the heater hose from the heater core. It blew real nice hot air. I let it cool and then put the hoses back and warmed it back up....back to blowing cold air. Any ideas on what else I can check.....TStat is new and just replaced the water pump also.

Thanks, Marty

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Has to be an air pocket, nothing else will cause that. You get an air bubble in the heater core, so it doesn't heat the air passing through. As you speed up the engine, the water pump pushes it through and allows it to work, till the engine slows back down and the air pocket returns to rest. With the engine cold, and off, top off the coolant at the cap on the engine, squeeze the upper radiator hose and you will see bubbles come out. Refill and repeat till the bubbles are all gone, then make sure the overflow tank level is good.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Heater

I would definately go with Kings idea about bleeding air. Some cars like the lincolns have 2 air bleeds, one for the engine that you bleed first then there is a heater bleed also. On the lincoln there is also a DCCV ( dual climate control valve ) that has a solenoid on it under the hood. They often go bad. Not sure if your impala has one, but if you bleed it like its suppose to ( and it can be tricky some times, not like the older cars ) check for control valve to the heater core.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts