Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since its gotten cold out I was going to use my heater the other day. I turned on the heater and The blower fan blows air out of the vents but no heat on any of the vent settings. Not even defrost. The coolant reservoir is full so its not because of low coolant level. This is the first winter I have driven this car so I have no idea if it worked last year. The A/C does not blow cold either. Not sure if the two are related. Please help, Its cold out!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you might have a blend door issue. What you are saying is you can get air to blow out of the vents, but no matter what temperature you set it to, the temperature doesn't change? Can you hear the blend door move with you switch from hot to cold?
Yes, air blows out the vents and increases with fan speed. I will check tomorrow when I get back in the car to see if I hear the blend door. From what I recall there is no sound. I know the vents will not switch by themselves to recirculate no matter what position the selector is in. I can manually switch it to recirculate but it will switch itself back to fresh air.

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 243.1k miles
321 Posts
@jso2378 : you could also feel the two hoses going into and out of the firewall to see if maybe one is hot while the other is cold. If that's the case, then your heater core is blocked up (with sediment). I don't know if this is a thing with Impalas (it's never been with my 2002), but it's another possibility. My '97 Taurus had this problem (chronically) ... so much so that I made a couple of remnant hoses with couplings so I could quickly hook up a hose to the spigot and blow the darn thing out! Used to do this twice a year IIRC.

But my money's on either the air bubbles or the Blend Door failing. Also had that happen with my Taurus. There was a cigarette pack-sized motor under the dash that moved the door when the Temperature Knob was turned. It was full of plastic gears and one of them had enough teeth crack off that it wouldn't engage to move the door! It was a $40 part, and a PITA to replace (upside down, draped body on floorboard and seat). In the Taurus, the Blend Door "defaulted" to the COLD position, so what I did for the first season was just prop it up under the dash with a small piece of plastic I cut off a detergent bottle ... jamming it in a slot to manually keep the Door in the HOT position.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am pretty sure its the vent door not working. There is no sound when I switch from cold to hot or recirculate to fresh air. I can hear the actuators moving when I switch from dash to floor and defrost. How do I fix the vent door?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am pretty sure its the vent door not working. There is no sound when I switch from cold to hot or recirculate to fresh air. I can hear the actuators moving when I switch from dash to floor and defrost. How do I fix the vent door?
Replacing the blend door actuator and the recirculation actuator will fix your temperature control and air inlet issues. Same part number for both actuators.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts