Impala Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Kudos on fixing the vacuum leak.

The speed control issue is usually what's called the blower motor resistor. In some cases, they actually contain resistors; in other cases, it contains a more sophisticated electronic circuit for controlling the fan motor speed. Either way, as long as you get a "blower motor resistor", you should be fine.

Looking on Autozone's website, most of them are around 40 bucks, but there are two outliers: one at 12 bucks and another at 94.

The resistor is located near the fan, up above the passenger's feet, against the firewall.

HTH.

Doug

Thanks I'll check those out. Fan speeds 1,2,3 are dead, fan only comes on in 4 and 5

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Thanks I'll check those out. Fan speeds 1,2,3 are dead, fan only comes on in 4 and 5
I think it's almost always the resistor. I can't recall anyone with a bad speed switch.

Seems like fan speed control is a problem that goes way back. I've done at least one resistor on one of my Impalas. And my dad's 64 Chrysler had similar issues with its A/C fan, too :)

Doug

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
^+1. Again, on my old Fords, underhood vacuum breaks/leaks were common. Think age and engine heat/cold. Also, with a faulty/burnt blower motor resistor, blower fan only worked on high speed(s). Mode (vent) selection was controlled by vacuum, temperature was controlled electrically via the temp blend door actuator motor.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts