Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the lights on my 16 impala pretty much suck. i need to see further down the road. dude i know says plug and play led's work great last longer then hids. any suggestions. or is there a better brighter bulb i can get at autozone or something instead of buying a kit??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not sure about aftermarket LEDs which need large heat sinks and cooling fans given the limited volume and air tight sealing in the gen 10 light pods, the long term effects on hi/lo beam shutters and current draw on relays.

Lucky for you the '16 should use the same upgradeable bulb as the '17, different from the limited upgrade stock 9012 in earlier Impalas. Sylvania makes multiple upgrades of bulbs over the '16/'17s stock 9005 SL+-------Silver Star, Xtra Vision, Ultra Vision and the zXe (all stock 65W, street legal and plug and play) each upgrade giving greater forward lighting, side lighting, overall clarity and whiteness level.

The bulbs in my photo taken earlier are the halogen Ultra Visions, but I then wanted even whiter and brighter for an exact match with the DRLs and replaced with the xenon powered zXe's.

Side by side an easy match for the HID's in my Sliverado. And they are easy to install without tools from under the hood in 10 - 15 minutes, about as difficult as replacing wiper blades. Only down side is these hotter bulbs burn out more quickly than the dim, yellow stock bulbs, but come with a 1 year free replacement warranty.

Amazon has the zXe's on sale for under $35 a pair and well worth the money for the dramatic improvement in lighting.....

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, anyhoo, I just installed some Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs in my 2015 Impala LT. The stock headlights were awful. Worst side throw ever, and unacceptably dim in front.

The LEDs are amazing. Absolute night and day. I can actually see to the right side now, and the lighting ahead is very good.

They don't need any special equipment... in fact, not even a screwdriver. I installed them by hand. They completely fit in the headlight assembly behind the dust covers.

They're not too blue (they're 5500k) and they're street legal. I'm not sure if the ones I got fit in later models (Diode Dynamics listed them for the 2014/2015 model). They have a tool that finds the bulb for the model and year, so check their site.

I sound like a total shill (new account and all 🙂, but I HATE HATE HATED the stock lights, and getting these is like getting new headlights. The single worst design flaw in my Impala fixed for $150. Yay! Super strongly recommended.

My suspicion as to why the stock lights are so awful is that they're using one bulb for low and high beam, with a shutter. That shutter blocks half the light... so installing bulbs with much higher output fixes the problem.

My wife's Honda has separate bulbs for low and high beam, and halogens work fine in that setup.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
The root of the problem is the 2014+ capsule is meant for HID but the lower option cars come with Halogen. The Halogen bulb could be OK in a capsule meant for it.

Put a Morimoto HID kit in the wife's car and for I think $120 the lighting is amazing, is a few years old and noticing an intermittent DRL problem on one side which I haven't dug into yet but the light is better than my Tesla and maybe as good as my 2015 Sports Sedan was

·
Registered
133 Posts
the lights on my 16 impala pretty much suck. i need to see further down the road. dude i know says plug and play led's work great last longer then hids. any suggestions. or is there a better brighter bulb i can get at autozone or something instead of buying a kit??
I use Sylvania Silverstar Ultras and Hella 2.0 High Performance bulbs. I've gotten good service from both and the amount of light is great!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, anyhoo, I just installed some Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs in my 2015 Impala LT. The stock headlights were awful. Worst side throw ever, and unacceptably dim in front.

The LEDs are amazing. Absolute night and day. I can actually see to the right side now, and the lighting ahead is very good.

They don't need any special equipment... in fact, not even a screwdriver. I installed them by hand. They completely fit in the headlight assembly behind the dust covers.

They're not too blue (they're 5500k) and they're street legal. I'm not sure if the ones I got fit in later models (Diode Dynamics listed them for the 2014/2015 model). They have a tool that finds the bulb for the model and year, so check their site.

I sound like a total shill (new account and all 🙂, but I HATE HATE HATED the stock lights, and getting these is like getting new headlights. The single worst design flaw in my Impala fixed for $150. Yay! Super strongly recommended.

My suspicion as to why the stock lights are so awful is that they're using one bulb for low and high beam, with a shutter. That shutter blocks half the light... so installing bulbs with much higher output fixes the problem.

My wife's Honda has separate bulbs for low and high beam, and halogens work fine in that setup.
$150 is a rip-off for LEDs, just saying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe. I wanted street legal lights that aren’t blue (i.e. below 6000 color temp), with decent focus (i.e. the LEDs are in the same place as a bulb element would be) that wouldn’t die from overheating in 6 months. I looked on Amazon, and there’s a number of cheaper options (~$80 a pair), but they had absurd specs like 10,000 lumen. Whenever I see ridiculous specs, I know I’m dealing with a gack-tec company (their tech will make you gack). A number of reviews on them discussed them burning out in short periods. So I went with the more expensive American made product.

Do you know any other brands with decent thermal engineering and under 6k color temp?

I’ve always found it cheaper in life to possibly overpay but get what you want, than to underpay and get something of lower quality or durability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Derp... I just noticed in your signature that you have Hikari LED headlights. I’ll take a look at them (not that it matters much because I’ve already bought, but good to know for future). Do you like them?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Derp... I just noticed in your signature that you have Hikari LED headlights. I’ll take a look at them (not that it matters much because I’ve already bought, but good to know for future). Do you like them?
I've been running my hikaris for about a year now. No burnouts, perfect beam pattern, and they will light up anything you need them too. They are pretty much a pure white. Absolutely love them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I've got the Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs in my 2015 Sierra and I love them. In my 2015 Impala I replaced the stock halogen bulbs with the Morimoto 2.0 2 stroke bulbs. Those are great as well. A couple of things I like better about the Diode Dynamics is that it doesn't need an anti flicker harness and also they are able to be clocked. I had to adjust the clocking of the bulb for my Sierra.

Both put out great light and I agree, I'd rather pay more for better quality and from a reliable source. Hard to trust those Amazon specials that exaggerate with those 10,000 lumens claims...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got the Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs in my 2015 Sierra and I love them. In my 2015 Impala I replaced the stock halogen bulbs with the Morimoto 2.0 2 stroke bulbs. Those are great as well. A couple of things I like better about the Diode Dynamics is that it doesn't need an anti flicker harness and also they are able to be clocked. I had to adjust the clocking of the bulb for my Sierra.

Both put out great light and I agree, I'd rather pay more for better quality and from a reliable source. Hard to trust those Amazon specials that exaggerate with those 10,000 lumens claims...
Amazon is pretty easy to navigate with their reviews. If something is garbage, buyers will let you know. The diode Dynamics use the same chips as a lot of the Amazon bulbs, but charge almost double the price. You're falling victim to the concept of perceived value vs actual value. You paid more so instantly you think you have better quality, which is almost never the case. Have you actually bought a pair of both to compare materials and build quality? Because if not you can't really say yours is a better quality product, and therefore spreading a biased lie. It's usually smarter to not buy the cheapest, nor buy the most expensive. The middle priced item is usually the best value. The diode Dynamics are probably over priced for what they are. LEDs are old technology. No reason why they should be $150. Nothing ground breaking about them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Everyone can buy or spend what they wish. If they like the cheapo LEDs buy them, if they like the more quality and trusted ones, buy them. I'll stick with the latter and buy some good quality ones from Diode Dynamics or Morimoto.
I'm happy with my decision, hopefully everyone else is as well.

LEDs are old yes but using them as headlights is still fairly new and is being perfected more and more as they advance.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
LEDs are old yes but using them as headlights is still fairly new and is being perfected more and more as they advance.
Using them for household lighting is new as well. In the past, they were mostly just marker lights. Now we have units which can be used as primary lighting - that's a significant product improvement even if it didn't require any breakthrough in semiconductor device technology.

With LEDs, while we may never see any noticeable gain in fuel mileage in our cars, on the home front, a definite reduction in electric bills can be made.
For several years, I've been using compact fluorescent lights in some places around the house, but now I notice they seem to be getting scarce - presumably LEDs are taking their market share.
I really like these high efficiency lights - CF or LED - in my trouble light for working on the car. When you're in a tight spot, say under the dash, and you need to pull the light close, it's so much nicer not having all the heat next to your face.

Doug

·
Registered
66 Posts
Everyone can buy or spend what they wish. If they like the cheapo LEDs buy them, if they like the more quality and trusted ones, buy them. I'll stick with the latter and buy some good quality ones from Diode Dynamics or Morimoto.
I'm happy with my decision, hopefully everyone else is as well.

Again, you're implying that you have higher quality bulbs just because you spent more. That's a logical fallacy. Unless you can say you've used both to be able to compare them, you're just talking out of your ass. Both use ZES led chips, both are clockable, both are plug and play, both have great warranties. So where exactly is the extra quality in your bulbs? What factor of engineering or craftsmanship makes them superior, besides the fact that you spent more. Because that seems to be your only determining factor that they're better. You seem to actually be obsessed with the fact that you spent so much on them. Sounds more like your ego trying to justify a purchase than actually having a comparison to make a judgement.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Using them for household lighting is new as well. In the past, they were mostly just marker lights. Now we have units which can be used as primary lighting - that's a significant product improvement even if it didn't require any breakthrough in semiconductor device technology.

With LEDs, while we may never see any noticeable gain in fuel mileage in our cars, on the home front, a definite reduction in electric bills can be made.
For several years, I've been using compact fluorescent lights in some places around the house, but now I notice they seem to be getting scarce - presumably LEDs are taking their market share.
I really like these high efficiency lights - CF or LED - in my trouble light for working on the car. When you're in a tight spot, say under the dash, and you need to pull the light close, it's so much nicer not having all the heat next to your face.

Doug

I have replaced most of our compact fluorescent bulbs with LEDs in our house as well. I really like the GE Relax and Reveal LED light bulbs for home use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts