Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've gone through my second set of low beam sylvania (top ones they offered in halogen) and i've given up on them. now the question is, do the phillips high-end halogens hold up any better? i'm going to get the spyder's in the next few months i am just trying to tide it over until then.

suggestions?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I can't help you very much, sorry, but I'd like your opinion. I'm running Sylvania ZXE low beams right now... Are those what you had? Why'd you give up on them?

Edit: I forgot to mention I got the ZXE's a little over six months ago because I dislike yellow light, and reviews showed they were the brightest / whitest (for halogens). I also heard they have a relatively short lifespan, especially with our DRL's. I've been happy with them so far, that's why I'm curious as to your opinion.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Think we are at about 5 months now on the sylvania silver star's in our 2012. This reminds me that I probably need to pick up a spare set of bulbs soon since they don't last very long. Will have to check back and see what others are having better luck with.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had nothing but continuous problems with Sylvanias, both SilverStar and Ultra, very short life.

I went back to OEM style bulbs, I do not recall the brand anymore, but they weren't Sylvania, and the issues went away.

The upscale bulbs are expensive, and did not last very long, so I always had to carry the bulbs in the car, and was always getting my wallet out to buy more. It seems I was always changing one or the other.

There are some that say the upscale bulbs just have a shorter life because they burn hotter, but I think Sylvania sort of sets it up that way, too, to sell more bulbs.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had nothing but continuous problems with Sylvanias, both SilverStar and Ultra, very short life.

I went back to OEM style bulbs, I do not recall the brand anymore, but they weren't Sylvania, and the issues went away.

The upscale bulbs are expensive, and did not last very long, so I always had to carry the bulbs in the car, and was always getting my wallet out to buy more. It seems I was always changing one or the other.

There are some that say the upscale bulbs just have a shorter life because they burn hotter, but I think Sylvania sort of sets it up that way, too, to sell more bulbs.
yeah i just blew my second set of silverstars and have given up. i even covered up the daylight sensor to trick into thinking it was running at night all the time (trying to get away from the daytime running lights causing an issue) and it still blew one.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last night i ordered the phillips whatever they call their top of the line halogens. I guess ill find out if they last longer than six months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
I even covered up the daylight sensor to trick into thinking it was running at night all the time (trying to get away from the daytime running lights causing an issue) and it still blew one.
I'm confused. Covering up the ambient light sensor makes your car think it's always night time, which means your headlights are always on, at full power. I feel like that would make your bulbs burn out faster than as DRLs, which run at a reduced power to try and increase lifespan. Or am I wrong?

Anyway, let us know what you think of the Philips. I'm especially interested to know the color of the light, since I abhor the really yellow ones, personally.

I ordered a set of headlights that use LEDs as the DRL's, so that should solve that issue. Plus I think they look cool. :p I hope to have them next week!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have read in many places around these forums people believe the lowered power to the bulb actually decreases it's lifespan. so by covering the sensor the bulb should always have full power (within 10-15 seconds of turning on the car). i am just trying to minimize the daytime running light causing a shortage of lifespan in the bulbs.

after running with the sensor covered for the life of these bulbs (i think) they still only lasted around 6 months. i'm pretty disappointed in sylvania with these bulbs.

i plan to install the Phillips this weekend, i've been driving around for a week or so now with only one headlight (like the other goobers i see on the road doing the same thing :( lol).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts